Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacation stop Suggestions  (Read 3021 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Vacation stop Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:54 pm »
Crescent City works when you are in the quarter without a car.  ;)

I've been there, done that  ;D. I liked Crescent City on that visit (10 yrs ago) but it was crazy hot and humid that day, too. I maybe wasn't as objective as I could've been. I remember having a Dort lager that I liked.

EDIT-  Disclaimer - I may or may not have had, ummm.....several beers before going in there.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:49:33 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »

I've been there, done that  ;D. I liked Crescent City on that visit (10 yrs ago) but it was crazy hot and humid that day, too. I maybe wasn't as objective as I could've been. I remember having a Dort lager that I liked.

EDIT-  Disclaimer - I may or may not have had, ummm.....several beers before going in there.  ;)

Crazy hot and humid, are you being Captain Obvious?
We were there at Quarterfest with Mike and Annette (some of you know them), and Mike said lets get some Pilsner at Cresent City. Not the best I have had. But pretty good when in the Quarter and you have been walking too long.

Toby, I have made a note to myself to ask you for the inside lowdown the next time we are there with a car, passing through to South Texas. I will gladly go with your advice.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »

No, I was told that weekend by the locals that it was especially unbearable, even for NOLA. I've been there since a couple times and nothing held a candle to that weekend. Awesome city, though.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »
In New Orleans there's a deli on Decatur near Jackson Square that has a very nice beer selection.  Grab a "go cup" and enjoy a good beer while you walk the neighborhood.
Just realized that you're probably referring to Central Grocery.  It's in that area, but Stein's whips its ass, IMO.
Yes, but thanks for the reference.  I will check out Stein's next time I'm in NOLA.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 05:04:54 pm »

Jackson, MS? My suggestion would be not to go there!

I went to a brewpub there, it was awful, but it was a long time ago. A google search didn't bring it up so hopefully it has closed.

Yelp might be your friend in this case:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Beer+Bars&find_loc=Jackson%2C+MS
Jackson, MS now has one brewery; Lucky Town.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »

No, I was told that weekend by the locals that it was especially unbearable, even for NOLA. I've been there since a couple times and nothing held a candle to that weekend. Awesome city, though.
The first time we were there was the middle of August, we were rained on with no clouds in the local area. Damn that was humid!

It has been humid there most every time we have been there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:14 pm »

The first time we were there was the middle of August, we were rained on with no clouds in the local area. Damn that was humid!

My first experience in New Orleans was in 1970 when I hitch-hiked in from Florida and at 6:30 AM the bank sign read 88F.  It didn't show the humidity, but I'm sure it was over 90%.  I hung out in Jackson Square until the mosquitos drove me away and I thumbed out to Baton Rogue.
Subsequent visits have been much more pleasant.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:14 am »

It's worth renting a car (or potentially even a taxi).  ;)  Matt's beer is just that good and the food is much better.

Don't get me wrong.  Crescent City's beer isn't bad.  It's solid.  Old Rail's is just at another level.  And if I was stuck without a car in the Quarter, I'd probably lean towards Gordon Biersch since I prefer the food.  But I would take the St Charles Streetcar to Avenue Pub over either of them.  ;)

Toby, I have made a note to myself to ask you for the inside lowdown the next time we are there with a car, passing through to South Texas. I will gladly go with your advice.

Definitely let me know.  If we're available, I'd gladly go meet up as well.

It's kind of our thing.