Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washington DC / Shenandoah Area  (Read 1484 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Washington DC / Shenandoah Area
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:25:44 am »
We'll be taking a short trip to DC with a couple nights in the Shenandoah National Park area in October. Are there any beers/breweries/brewpubs we should keep an eye out for?

Offline mevett89

• 1st Kit
Re: Washington DC / Shenandoah Area
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:23 am »
Hi! I've lived in the DC area for a year and a half now, and there are some great new breweries here.

In DC proper, I recommend Bluejacket at The Arsenal (good variety with a growing sour program), Atlas Brew Works, Three Stars and DC Brau - all make good quality beer. I also recommend Port City Brewing across the river from DC in Alexandria, Virginia.

In the Shenandoah area, Star Hill in Crozet, Virginia has excellent beer. Devil's Backbone Brewery and Lickinghole Creek Farm Brewery are also good (though Lickinghole Creek is a bit of a drive from Shenandoah). I have also heard good things about Wild Wolf Brewing and Blue Mountain Brewery.

Enjoy your visit! Shenandoah is one of my favorite National Parks, and the fall colors in October should be gorgeous.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »
I really like the Churchkey in DC. 50 or so beers on tap and all available in 4 oz. pours. It's not all local stuff, though.
http://www.churchkeydc.com/

Why do restaurants persist with such horrible web sites? You can see their hours on a desktop, but I'll bet it's impossible on a phone.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:42 am »
Thanks for the tips!

We also came across this little place that sounds interesting: http://www.hopkinsordinary.com/ale-works

Why do restaurants persist with such horrible web sites? You can see their hours on a desktop, but I'll bet it's impossible on a phone.

Yes! Or even worse, just a difficult-to-navigate facebook page. A content-useful website should be pretty elementary these days.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:30:10 am »
Can't speak for DC, as I largely avoid that area, but +1 for the Devil's Backbone brewpub. Beautiful location, food was great, and a lot of unique beers that don't get bottled. It's kinda located in the middle of nowhere, but it's worth the drive.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.