Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to Start Looking for Bulk Whole Hops 2015 Season?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
When to Start Looking for Bulk Whole Hops 2015 Season?
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »
My entire supply of leaf hops is from 2011 and 2012. I want to toss most of them and buy a bunch of varieties in bulk when this years crops are available for sale from places like Freshhops and Yakima Valley. When should I start keeping a close eye on the websites?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: When to Start Looking for Bulk Whole Hops 2015 Season?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:22 pm »
Soonish. Follow hops direct on Twitter, they post constantly during the harvest. I find early October is best for me if I want to order a year's worth of pellets without having to wait for something. I also run the risk of something being sold out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:57 pm »
+1.  They'll start being harvested pretty much now through the end of September roughly. I'd check the hop sites like yakimavalleyhops and others once or twice a week. The hot varieties obviously sell faster.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

When to Start Looking for Bulk Whole Hops 2015 Season?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:29 pm »
Forgot to mention that Label Peelers pre-sells some of the more popular varieties.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:49:20 pm »
Just checked YVH and they're saying to check the site on the first week of October for 2015 pellets. I'm sure the leaf hops would be available in that time frame. But YVH has 2015 Calypso and El Dorado pellets now FWIW.

EDIT - 2015 Galaxy available there, too. Great hop.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:54:41 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »
Thanks all.

I wonder how they can have pellets available before leaf?

My system works best with leaf (works as a filter in my kettle) although I'm getting less and less concerned with carrying some trub into the fermenter.

Maybe I should consider pellets.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »
Just checked YVH and they're saying to check the site on the first week of October for 2015 pellets. I'm sure the leaf hops would be available in that time frame. But YVH has 2015 Calypso and El Dorado pellets now FWIW.

Those all say "out of stock." Maybe they're just getting the page set-up? Otherwise they sold fast!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:36 pm »

Those all say "out of stock." Maybe they're just getting the page set-up? Otherwise they sold fast!

Yeah, just saw that. I assume they maybe had a limited amount to sell early. They'd have gone fast. As for pellets showing up first, there are an all time high number of homebrewers out there, many of whom use pellets. I've read that a higher percentage of hops than before are being pelletized.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 07:35:21 pm »
Many breweries use pellets. Easier to store, easier to add, less kettle loss, and they can eliminate them in the whirlpool. I loved how clear my wort was with leaf, but pellets are where it's at IMO.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:00 pm »
Many breweries use pellets. Easier to store, easier to add, less kettle loss, and they can eliminate them in the whirlpool. I loved how clear my wort was with leaf, but pellets are where it's at IMO.

Yep. Many more varieties available in pellet form, too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:48 pm »
Yeah, I have a comp coming up soon and I'd love to get 8 ounces or so of fresh, whole-cone hops from this year's harvest. I'll share if I find anything.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:32:37 am »
All hops go into bales first. Then samples are cut from some bales for testing, and the hops are certified (once Hopsdirect said they were wait for the certification before they could release). When the hops are harvested the Pelletizer is fired up and they make pellets.

Hopsdirect will have leaf hops up first, starting a little after Labor Day. They will put them up in a batched sequence depending on if the group is early maturing or late.

My best advice is to start checking, and check often until you see the ones you want. Some don't last long.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!