Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jarrylo hops  (Read 13855 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Jarrylo hops
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »
Like, seemingly, everyone else I'm still trying to decide what to do with them.

Paul

+1

They're sitting happily in my freezer. The bags claim they're nitrogen flushed, so I'm thinking they'll be happy waiting for me to figure out what to do with them.
+1 same here, trying to figure put what to do with them as well, not holding out much hope on Jarrylo based on this thread though.... We shall see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Got mine too. I have a partial keg of blonde ale that I'm gonna use as a guinea pig - gonna add an oz or two to the keg and see what it brings. Worst case it's only part of a blonde ale keg. I still have to think with some good breweries  putting out single hop beers with Jarrylo, it must be pleasant to some people.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 04:11:38 pm »
Added some Jarrylo to the blonde ale keg today. I saved the blonde for these hops, figuring a clean neutral beer will make a good base to eval the hops on accurately. I opened the package not knowing what to expect given one or two of the reviews posted here, but these pellets smelled surprisingly good - nonspecific citrus and fruit but pleasant. How that translates to the beer remains to be seen. Will report back on Friday.
Jon H.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 10:44:24 am »
Last month I brewed the beer that Jeff linked to (J-Lo & Chew-zacca's Wild Ride). This recipe teams Jarrylo with Azacca hops so it isn't an evaluation of Jarrylo by itself. I carbonated the beer last week and have been tasting it over the past few days. This sort of reminds me of an assorted roll of "lifesavers" with all the fruity flavors (except cherry). I taste pineapple, orange, grapefruit and mango. While it won't be my go to beer, it is a very interesting brew because with each day it seems I taste a different predominant flavor. I haven't tasted much of the piney, banana, or apple flavors but maybe that will come later.

I brewed a batch of the "Ron Mexico" beer on Saturday using the recipe in the seminar. Hope it turns out as good as the one at San Diego.

Bruce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 06:05:10 pm »
Last month I brewed the beer that Jeff linked to (J-Lo & Chew-zacca's Wild Ride). This recipe teams Jarrylo with Azacca hops so it isn't an evaluation of Jarrylo by itself. I carbonated the beer last week and have been tasting it over the past few days. This sort of reminds me of an assorted roll of "lifesavers" with all the fruity flavors (except cherry). I taste pineapple, orange, grapefruit and mango. While it won't be my go to beer, it is a very interesting brew because with each day it seems I taste a different predominant flavor. I haven't tasted much of the piney, banana, or apple flavors but maybe that will come later.

I brewed a batch of the "Ron Mexico" beer on Saturday using the recipe in the seminar. Hope it turns out as good as the one at San Diego.

Bruce
How many Oz. did you end up with, Bruce? I only got 2, so my batch will be pretty small, and use something else for bittering.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 09:11:04 pm »
You're talking the Ron Mexico hop, correct? I got 2 oz. myself plus 2 oz. more from another guy at the conference who gave me his. The rest came from a friend who share remain nameless. Vinnie's recipe called for a ton of flame out and dry hops. I didn't have enough hops to replicate it exactly but I'm optimistic it will turn out good. I drank my commemorative bottle of Ron Mexico last month and really enjoyed it. Should be able to buy the hops soon.

Jeff, what did you think of the beer? I haven't heard much discussion on it.

Bruce 

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 09:31:02 pm »
Yakima Valley Hops have plenty of 2014 Jarrylo pellets in stock.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:55 am »
You're talking the Ron Mexico hop, correct? I got 2 oz. myself plus 2 oz. more from another guy at the conference who gave me his. The rest came from a friend who share remain nameless. Vinnie's recipe called for a ton of flame out and dry hops. I didn't have enough hops to replicate it exactly but I'm optimistic it will turn out good. I drank my commemorative bottle of Ron Mexico last month and really enjoyed it. Should be able to buy the hops soon.

Jeff, what did you think of the beer? I haven't heard much discussion on it.

Bruce

I really liked the Ron Mexico beer. When people ask what the hop character was, well, it was hard to describe. I will keep looking for some online.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »
I just bottled my Jarrylo/Falconers Flight IPA and I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but I believe some of the fault lies in my method and not the hops themselves.  It has a great flavor, nice sharp bitterness with a pineapple flavor with some backing "generic" citrus behind it.  It doesn't have much aroma, but I wasn't able to dry hop due to limited quantities.  It also seems "fruity" to me, from a yeast standpoint, very likely from a warm fermentation, it's been damn hot here in Oregon and I'm struggling with temp control.  So... not a total strikeout and seems like more mistakes on my end than the hops, but there it is for what it's worth if anything.

(I'm also a really brutal judge of my own beers, my wife think it's going to be awesome).
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year