Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about batch sparge timing  (Read 5871 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Question about batch sparge timing
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 11:20:15 am »
I batch sparge for all the reasons stated above.  As to setting the grain bed, I use a little rice hulls and a fairly fine crush, then I run off slowly while vorlaufing.  Probably just under 50% flow rate.  Then when it looks reasonably clear I start collecting pretty close to wide open.  Then I put a double strainer on top of my boil kettle and pour the wort through it to catch any husks that might have gotten through.  I check my late runnings and they are always above 1.15 or so, so I assume the best as to astringency and pH....YMMV, of course.
1.015 is what I think you meant.

Correct, Jeff.  Big fingered typing got me again.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 03:25:19 pm »
I have a fancy pants RIMS Rocket, 3 kettle pump system blah, blah, blah.... and I still batch sparge.  Easy is easy. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline isaacpball

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:41 am »
Hey gents. I'm new to the forum and wanted to add my input. My experience is almost entirely from what I learned working in the two man, 15 BBL brewery Huske Hardware House in Fayetteville NC. With that said I joined this forum to learn from some experienced home brewers as I jump into the hobby.  In our brew house we never allowed the sparge to soak. Perhaps it's my lack of experience but this is actually the first I have heard about it.  We also never performed iodine tests.  Keep in mind our brew conditions and ingredients never changed. It may take a lot of the intricate science out of brewing when I say this but we would only sparge long enough to hit our target volume in the kettle and be done with it.  The end result was always fantastic award winning beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 09:32:54 am »
Hey gents. I'm new to the forum and wanted to add my input. My experience is almost entirely from what I learned working in the two man, 15 BBL brewery Huske Hardware House in Fayetteville NC. With that said I joined this forum to learn from some experienced home brewers as I jump into the hobby.  In our brew house we never allowed the sparge to soak. Perhaps it's my lack of experience but this is actually the first I have heard about it.  We also never performed iodine tests.  Keep in mind our brew conditions and ingredients never changed. It may take a lot of the intricate science out of brewing when I say this but we would only sparge long enough to hit our target volume in the kettle and be done with it.  The end result was always fantastic award winning beer.

Sounds like you're talking about fly sparging, a different process.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline isaacpball

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 09:52:54 am »

Ah see this is why I joined the forum. To catch every bit of information I can

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:06 am »

Ah see this is why I joined the forum. To catch every bit of information I can

check out www.dennybrew.com for info on the differences
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell