Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: over attenuate?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
over attenuate?
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:19 pm »
Have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks picking up tips but i keep seeing over attenuate and have no idea what that does to the finished product and what causes it.   (fermentation temp maybe?)  Any simple explanation?  Under attenuate too?  thanks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: over attenuate?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:12 pm »
Attenuation is simply the degree to which the beer finally fermented. Over or under would probably just mean that it fell short or went too far than expected. There's a lot of possible causes. The amount of simple sugars in the wort, fermentation temp, yeast strain and health are the main ones that come to mind.

If you give a description of your recipe, process, and what happened, we can probably help correct it.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:28 pm »
As far as effect goes, an under attenuated beer may be sweet with a lot of body.  The final gravity reading would be higher than expected. 
A lower than expected final gravity would be over attenuated.  The beer may seem thin and have more alcohol than desired.   

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:43:39 am »
As far as effect goes, an under attenuated beer may be sweet with a lot of body.  The final gravity reading would be higher than expected. 
A lower than expected final gravity would be over attenuated.  The beer may seem thin and have more alcohol than desired.   

I find underattenuation to be much more of a problem than over. I find it tastes like the beer isn't finished. Worty is a good descriptor. It tastes like unfermented wort or non-alcholic beer. With a strong beer this can be especially unpleasant as it then tastes like a sweet non-alcoholic beer mixed with cheap vodka.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:19 am »

I find underattenuation to be much more of a problem than over. I find it tastes like the beer isn't finished. Worty is a good descriptor. It tastes like unfermented wort or non-alcholic beer. With a strong beer this can be especially unpleasant as it then tastes like a sweet non-alcoholic beer mixed with cheap vodka.

Totally agree. Gotta mash those big beers (in particular) low and long IMO.
Jon H.

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:18:16 pm »
perfect explanation guys.  thanks.