Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Woodinville Whiskey Co. Barrel  (Read 11455 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Woodinville Whiskey Co. Barrel
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:29 am »
The sour guys (Rare Barrel, Crooked Stave, etc) are storing their barrels with a solution of 2 gm potasium metabisulfate 1 gm citric acid per liter water until ready to use, 4-6 months. Replace with fresh if storing longer. Rinse thoroughly before filling.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 04:41:12 am »
The sour guys (Rare Barrel, Crooked Stave, etc) are storing their barrels with a solution of 2 gm potasium metabisulfate 1 gm citric acid per liter water until ready to use, 4-6 months. Replace with fresh if storing longer. Rinse thoroughly before filling.

This is what I do if storing long term, but you can also just go right in the barrel with another beer if you have one in waiting. That's what I try to do.

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 05:59:34 am »
I have two of these. 2 weeks is really abouta ll you need! I left it for 4 weeks and it was still good but a little over oaked. Most people ,let beer sit on the wood far too long in my experience.

+1 you cant un-oak your beer... 
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 05:48:33 am »
Sure you can... by blending.

Offline ca_mouse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:36 am »
Those of you that have gotten barrels from them, how long does it normally take? They don't say on the website and the only thing I've heard from them so far was the emailed invoice saying that I've paid for it...

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »
Those of you that have gotten barrels from them, how long does it normally take? They don't say on the website and the only thing I've heard from them so far was the emailed invoice saying that I've paid for it...

It depends.  If they happen to have some in stock it should just be shipping time.  I had to wait a little over a month until they dumped the whiskey out of a batch of barrels.  I'd say all contact them and ask.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ca_mouse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »
Thanks Steve!

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 11:23:32 am »
Just got one of these for Christmas from my siblings. It caught me totally off guard, so I don't have a beer ready to go in at the moment, but will brew a batch asap. How long can the barrel rest as is? I'd be putting in a beer post fermentation, so the earliest I could throw a batch in would likely be the 3rd week of January. Is the barrel fine without any type of treatment till then? The whiskey is strong with this one, just emptied on 12/10.

thanks

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 11:29:35 am »

Just got one of these for Christmas from my siblings. It caught me totally off guard, so I don't have a beer ready to go in at the moment, but will brew a batch asap. How long can the barrel rest as is? I'd be putting in a beer post fermentation, so the earliest I could throw a batch in would likely be the 3rd week of January. Is the barrel fine without any type of treatment till then? The whiskey is strong with this one, just emptied on 12/10.

thanks

Dump a handle or two of bourbon in it to keep it hydrated and sanitized until you are ready to fill it.....rotate it from time to time to hit all surfaces with the bourbon
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 11:53:41 am »
you could wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap to help hold the liquid in there too. it won't go moldy if the liquid is booze.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
I'd wrap it in plastic except for one end and keep that end hydrated with a pool of water (barrel standing on end).  Keep it in a cool dark place until ready to fill.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 02:44:16 pm »
I'd wrap it in plastic except for one end and keep that end hydrated with a pool of water (barrel standing on end).  Keep it in a cool dark place until ready to fill.
]

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looking forward to filling this bad boy up.

Offline tfrommer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »

This is what I do if storing long term, but you can also just go right in the barrel with another beer if you have one in waiting. That's what I try to do.

I just acquired one of the prevalent Balcones barrels and have been researching cleaning, sanitation, and care. Knowing my brewing frequency and preference for variety on tap at home, I foresee brewing for the barrel 2-4x year and want to keep it for "clean" beer. Since this long term storage suggestion came from the sour patch kids, would you still recommend this for a non-sour guy like myself?
Tim F.
Seattle
Cascade Brewers Guild

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 07:51:31 am »
Yes. The purpose of the holding solution is to keep the barrel wet and keep it from growing mold or other unwelcome guests. For a clean beer you want the inside of the barrel to be an even more VIP location than a sour beer where a little LAB or brett wouldn't be a big deal.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Killebrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:28 pm »
Once mold takes hold in one of these, do you have to throw them out?  Or is there any way to clean them out and use them after they've gotten a little grungy?