Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citrus Mistress Pale Ale Recipe Critique & Sugesstions  (Read 6974 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
Brewed Citrus Mistress Pale Ale Recipe this last Sunday
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 12:13:10 pm »
I agree you are low on the late hops for an apa. Looking more in blonde territory. I recommend pairing the citra with something. I don't like it solo. Amarillo, cascade, centennial, and simcoe are all good choices.

The Other Citrus Mistress  ;)
Brewed it up this Sunday.. Freaking HOT day to brew i'm a brew warrior ;D

Everything went like clock work (Except)
Batch 5.5
The good:
Preboil Gravity 1.042@65F (not temp compensated)
Post Boil OG 1.053/2 @76F (not temp compensated)
Hydrometer calibrated to 60F
Made 1500Ml starter wyeast 1056 w/ 1 cup of amber DME light for 4 days prior and decanted wort liquid prior to pitching.

The bad:
Sat. night  I sanitized all my equipment  with a mix of starsan & PBW and boiling water, march pump, silicone brew hoses with fittings, dudadeisel 36"L-20 plate plate chiller for over an hr then cleaned with clean boiling water "flushed out"

But on Sunday when I brewed, as I was pumping my hot worth through the plate chiller,  I totally forgot to starsan the inside of the  silicone hoses  as well as run starsan through plate chiller.. Frak me!

Im my system, the hot wort leaves the kettle>>>goes though hose #1 >>>into input side of march pump & >>>out via Hose #2 hose which is connected to >>>inlet at the Plate chiller and comes out >>>on the cold side of the output via hose #3 which is directed into the ferment bucket  (hose #3 is the cold side)

So up to this last point everything is very hot!    but during this I was chilling the plate chiller with Ice cold recirculated water.. So once the Hot wort starts to make its way through the plate chiller by the time it comes out the outlet it is 65F +-  and that last hose#3  is the cold side which is what I use to  direct the flow of 65F wort into sanitized bucket.

Im kinda worried that the middle of chiller & the end of the outlet side; the #3 silicone hose could be a point of possible contamination..  I'm hooping my starter and that I cleaned everything very good the night before compensate for this possibility!

Am i over worrying about this? will the starter over ride anything possible from the cold side??

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:02:21 pm by 2brew559 »
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Citrus Mistress Pale Ale Recipe Critique & Sugesstions
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 05:44:03 pm »
I think you will be fine.  I'm no expert, but it sounds like your Saturday evening session cleaned the microbes from your gear. I can't see the bad guys building up overnight. RDWHAHB.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

-Tony

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »
I think you will be fine.  I'm no expert, but it sounds like your Saturday evening session cleaned the microbes from your gear. I can't see the bad guys building up overnight. RDWHAHB.

Thanks I hope ur right
or else I quit brewing ..lol ;)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »

Thanks I hope ur right
or else I quit brewing ..lol ;)

By the way when I pitched at 6pm Sunday night the activity in the air lock was going crazy a few hrs later. Maybe by the am.. I dunno I was tired but by 8 am it was going crazy bubbles..

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
1 week after Brewing: Citrus Mistress Pale Ale Recipe Critique & Sugesstions
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »
Hello and good afternoon, west coast California time!

Hot and in drought so wonderful...LOL

I wanted to update everyone who commented along the way on this pale ale, my 1st attempt at style as well as  my 1st late hop additions at flame out. wooo wooo

Im past main fermentation since I brewed this 1 week ago; 08.09.2015
Fermentation took off like a rocket!!
Yesterday, I took a  gravity reading yesterday on 08.15, 2105 ... hit my FG dead on 1.012 :)
Sample:
SRM: Color was is a beautiful orangish goldish very slight tint of redish; CHECK 
Aroma: "WOW" has that aroma  of passion fruit kiwi, citrus.....etc...
Taste: I had stated I don't like hoppy beers But dang this was sample has very smooth bittering. I let my mother have a sip and a wiff, she was curious as to what I was doing.. **she doesn't drink period**
Her comments were like: Wow this is actually really tasty and that smell is amazing.. How did you get this to smell like that.
she thought it was ready to drink at 1 week...LOL

Cant wait to bottle this in approx 3 weeks for a total of 4 weeks in primary, I don't do secondary...

By the way 1st time making this style and flame out hops... what can I expect as it conditions? Smoother, bitter, etc...??

Thanks every one!!!  8) ;D

I tried adding an image doesn't work by the way... :(

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I tried adding an image doesn't work by the way... :(

Of your mother or the beer? ;)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 03:31:17 pm »
Posted by: brewinhard
« on: Today at 01:37:31 PM » Insert Quote

Good one.. LOL
left my self open to that one..

Now to let my mom read it so she can hit you with her  mop..LOL

:P