Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dumping a batch  (Read 3208 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Dumping a batch
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
I have no problem dumping bad beer or giving away good beer if I just don't care for it.

+1
+2, I also have no problem with this. Been brewing for 2 years last month, probably 25-30 batches. I have dumped 1 batch where I got a very band aid phenolic smell and taste. I also have left 2 batches for my SO other to drink herself as she liked them and I found off flavors/ poor attenuation that I just could not drink myself. I don't want to dump a batch, but I also don't want to drink beer that I won't/don't enjoy
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »
Yep.  Its only beer! 

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:49 am »
I would never dump a decent beer just to make room. I have too many friends that will make quick work of anything I needed to get rid of.

Now if it was bad, that's a different story. I haven't had to dump one yet, but would do it if necessary.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »
I have dumped a couple that were badly infected in the course of fermentation.  It takes only one such event to begin a regular schedule of extensive and very thorough cleaning (with the strongest agent you can justify), boiling (as able) and sanitizing with a highly effective sanitizer.  I used to rinse well, sanitize with iodophor and call it good - no more.  I change up regularly the approach and break things down fully a few times a year for a prolonged soak.  But with the new plastics and their limitations, I find that I really have to treat each kind of vessel differently on the cleaning step (stainless - no more than an overnight soak in PBW; buckets - soak for a couple days in PBW; plastic better bottles - no PBW, but scrub well and use OxyClean for just a few minutes before rinsing and sanitizing). I am going to try Mark's suggestion about an ounce of TSP and an ounce of vinegar in five gallons of water for sanitizing, since he said it is not hardness affected. I haven't used One Step in years, but I may consider it for the quick clean and go approach that others don't provide....I have a bunch of samples from a judging this past summer.

Definitely a time to consider sanitation, again, BEFORE there is another batch to dump.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
I am going to try Mark's suggestion about an ounce of TSP chlorine bleach and an ounce of vinegar in five gallons of water for sanitizing, since he said it is not hardness affected.

With that said, Chlorinated TSP is an awesome keg cleaner and sanitizer if one can find it.  From what I understand, there are two different CTSP formulations.  The formulation that I used is pink.