Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop and Brew School  (Read 2780 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Hop and Brew School
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 07:37:18 pm »
Denny, what does a decent hotel run in the area?   How long does it take to drive from Portland to Yakima?  I was thinking about piggybacking a trip to Oregon with Hops and Beer School.  I could hit Bend, Eugene, and Portland before driving up to Yakima.
I'm right in the middle. Portland to Hwy 97 is about 100 miles (Biggs Junction) At that point you are about 135 north of Bend and about 75 south of Yakivegas.

We should think about a collaboration brew day, bbq, and bottle share day...

That sounds really good.  I hope everyone has the time.  If at all possible, I'd say the day before would work best, but that is up to the attendees.  What say you all?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:02:41 pm »
Denny, what does a decent hotel run in the area?   How long does it take to drive from Portland to Yakima?  I was thinking about piggybacking a trip to Oregon with Hops and Beer School.  I could hit Bend, Eugene, and Portland before driving up to Yakima.
I'm right in the middle. Portland to Hwy 97 is about 100 miles (Biggs Junction) At that point you are about 135 north of Bend and about 75 south of Yakivegas.

That sounds really good.  I hope everyone has the time.  If at all possible, I'd say the day before would work best, but that is up to the attendees.  What say you all?
You had to mention having the time... this year I'm off the day before and could do an afternoon thing.

If we're talking next year, I could put in for time off. Too soon notice this year.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 08:04:15 am »
I plan to attend next year, so you guys are on your own.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 11:23:41 am »

IIRC, a hotel is in the %100-125 range,  Maybe  3 hour drive from PDX, down the gorge and up through WA.  Beautiful drive.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:30:51 am »

On Wed. 9/2 there's a kickoff BBQ party at Hopunion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 06:38:14 pm »
Maybe  3 hour drive from PDX, down the gorge and up through WA.  Beautiful drive.

It definitely sounds like something that I need to put on my bucket list.  I have been to many foreign countries that span several continents, but I have never visited the Pacific Northwest.   I live in a fairly green state from a foliage point of view, but Oregon is like green on steroids. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:44 pm »
Maybe  3 hour drive from PDX, down the gorge and up through WA.  Beautiful drive.

It definitely sounds like something that I need to put on my bucket list.  I have been to many foreign countries that span several continents, but I have never visited the Pacific Northwest.   I live in a fairly green state from a foliage point of view, but Oregon is like green on steroids.
Mrs R and I have been going to that corner of the country for about 30 years off and on. More on as of the Seattle conference.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

Yakima to Bend in September is far from green.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »

Yakima to Bend in September is far from green.

Still a scenic drive.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:24 pm »
Seattle is a bit closer, only ~2 hrs, I90 up to Snoqualmie Pass, out to Yakima.  The western side of the pass is gorgeous, especially in the foothills.  Once you get to the eastern side of the pass, it turns into high plains and desert.

Hotels are only about $100 to $125 per night in Yakima.  Hop Union has shuttles going back and forth.
It gets HOT (95-105 or more), so dress appropriately and drink lots of water.

Some folks in prior years thought they'd be able to save money by camping in a tent.  No way.  An air conditioned RV WITH a shower would be ok, but anything less will have your classmates plugging their noses and staying a mile away from you.

HTH-

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge