Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When building water...  (Read 2517 times)

Offline greg_rosace

• 1st Kit
When building water...
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:25:02 am »
Can I use my specific style built RO water for both the mash and sparge?
I think Im going to try Moshers ideal Pale ale water recipe for my IPA?
Beer today- Gone tomorrow

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When building water...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:26:18 am »
I just adjust water for the mash and use "plain" water for the sparge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:32:13 am »
I guess it depends. For IPA my water is pretty much ready to go as is so I am not building my water at all, only adding a little sulfate to the mash. But for my pale beers such as kolsch I adjust the minierals in the mash but blend RO water with my tap water at a 4:1 ratio, RO to tap. In my case I am using the minerals mostly to adjust pH (and for a little mineral character as well) but I would not use my straight tap water to sparge my kolsch because I want all the water to be soft. Won't matter as much with an IPA.

Offline greg_rosace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:44 am »
My water is not doing what I want in my finished beers.
Especially in the when I wnat to accentuate malt and bitterness ratios.
I'm afraid if I use my tap water to sparge.. which is generally 50% of my volume. I still may not get those reults I want to achieve?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:06 am »
Greg,

Check out the water profile for Tampa.  You may need to go online or call up your local water company.
A bunch of water profiles are posted on "post your water report."
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1887.0

Then build your water profile accordingly.  I suspect you have very alkaline water and a poor Cl:SO4 ratio that leans very bitter.

You'll likely end up using a significant % (50% or more) of RO water and Calcium Chloride salts (with smaller amounts of the others) to make your liquor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:11:17 am by richardt »

Offline greg_rosace

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:34:02 pm »
Thanks
Too bad Tampa water isnt posted. I'll be sure to do so when I get my results back.
I'm shiping out my water to Wards tomorrow.
Since I have all of my salts now, I might s well wait for the results and adjust my tap water.
I was thinking it would be easier to build my water from scratch, but I really dont want the hassel of hauling water around town.
We'll see.
Im really looking forward to fixin' my water and make better beer!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:00:43 pm »
Unfortunately, most "Water Quality Reports" are worthless from a homebrewer's standpoint, as evidenced by Tampa's water quality report
http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Water/files/Annual_Report_and_CCR/2009_water_quality_report.pdf
Specific questions about Tampa’s drinking water may be referred to Tampa Water Quality Assurance Officer or Water Quality Laboratory Supervisor at (813) 231- 5253 or (813) 231-5233.  Tell them you're more interested in the secondary standards (or Aesthetic Standards) like Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride, Sulfate, bicarbonate, alkalinity, pH.

Also, check out your local homebrew club http://www.tampabaybeers.org/.  They're a pretty good bunch of brewers--you'd do well to hang out with them.  Welcome to the hobby/obsession!