Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commission brew/Blue Moon style beer  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Commission brew/Blue Moon style beer
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 10:48:35 am »
SO my local brewmaster and instructor for beer/wine/spirits of the world at a local college argues that Blue Moon is a Hefeweizen not a Wit bier... any comments?

It doesn't taste like either to me but if I had to pick it would be a wit. Wits and Hefes do not appeal to the american masses the way Blue Moon does. My wife loves Blue Moon but would not like a Belgian Wit or a Hefe. I would consider it an 'Americanized' wit although they refer to it as Belgian White. It doesn't have a belgian yeast character which is key.

Malts: Pale, White Wheat, Oats
Hops: Blend of Imported and Domestic
Our Twist: Valencia Orange Peel , Coriander
IBUs: 9
Original Gravity: 13º Plato
ABV: 5.4%

A Hefe would not use oats and would not be spiced.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:01:10 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »
How many (lime leaves) for a 6 gallon batch to be noticed but not a leading role?

Jim, this might be helpful.  The suggestion here is 3 grams for 5 gallons.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/miscellany/2004/brewing-stone-040404-vertical-epic-ale-home

Edit: This method involves making a lime leaf "tea" and adding it to the fermenter, which I believe differs from Keith's method.
Ya, if I remember right he adds to the boil late. It won't be till spring when I use them in a saison. I'll probably go with an ounce in whirlpool and about the last 15 minutes of that.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 06:23:11 pm »
SO my local brewmaster and instructor for beer/wine/spirits of the world at a local college argues that Blue Moon is a Hefeweizen not a Wit bier... any comments?

It's a witbier.  Snobs don't like it but it's still a witbier.  Tastes good to me.  It's part of what got me into homebrewing in the first place, so from that viewpoint it's a winner.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 08:11:39 am »

It doesn't taste like either to me but if I had to pick it would be a wit. Wits and Hefes do not appeal to the american masses the way Blue Moon does. My wife loves Blue Moon but would not like a Belgian Wit or a Hefe. I would consider it an 'Americanized' wit although they refer to it as Belgian White. It doesn't have a belgian yeast character which is key.

Malts: Pale, White Wheat, Oats
Hops: Blend of Imported and Domestic
Our Twist: Valencia Orange Peel , Coriander
IBUs: 9
Original Gravity: 13º Plato
ABV: 5.4%

A Hefe would not use oats and would not be spiced.

Agreed. Even by American hefeweizen standards it's still well outside the category.

I'd wonder what this guy thinks is a hefeweizen.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 07:16:57 am »
How many (lime leaves) for a 6 gallon batch to be noticed but not a leading role?

http://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/miscellany/2004/brewing-stone-040404-vertical-epic-ale-home

Edit: This method involves making a lime leaf "tea" and adding it to the fermenter, which I believe differs from Keith's method.
Ya, if I remember right he adds to the boil late. It won't be till spring when I use them in a saison. I'll probably go with an ounce in whirlpool and about the last 15 minutes of that.

24 grams of lime leaves per 372 gallons of wort (you do the math). I spin them in a food processor with enough wort to cover them (and in my case the ginger) and add them to the WP right at flame out. WP for 10 minutes and then a 10 minute rest before running through heat exchanger.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 03:48:51 pm »

24 grams of lime leaves per 372 gallons of wort (you do the math). I spin them in a food processor with enough wort to cover them (and in my case the ginger) and add them to the WP right at flame out. WP for 10 minutes and then a 10 minute rest before running through heat exchanger.
1/3 gram per 6 gallons? Good thing I asked. I was thinking 1 ounce per 6 gallons. There probably is a minimum limit though, and no doubt its style dependant. When Saison season comes I will try 1 gram pulverized in whirlpool for ten minutes. Thanks Keith

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »
Could it be 24 oz per 372 gallons?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 08:49:53 pm »
I suspect it's ounces not grams but hopefully Keith will clarify that

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »
Grams not oz. when I homebrewed this recipe I used about 2-3 leaves per 5 gallons. A little goes a long way and you can get a very unpleasant aftertaste if you use too much. Also, there is a higher utilization of ingredients on larger batches such as hops/spices. I don't know why exactly that is but it doesn't always scale so you will have to find your balance.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »
Grams not oz. when I homebrewed this recipe I used about 2-3 leaves per 5 gallons. A little goes a long way and you can get a very unpleasant aftertaste if you use too much. Also, there is a higher utilization of ingredients on larger batches such as hops/spices. I don't know why exactly that is but it doesn't always scale so you will have to find your balance.
Thanks again Keith