Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water for an Oktoberfest?  (Read 7626 times)

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
Re: Water for an Oktoberfest?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:46 am »
At the levels we typically use in brewing, any of those ions are only adding nuances to the flavor and pushing our perceptions of other beer flavors in one way or another. Don't worry too much about a perfect level of any of those ions.

Thank you Martin, this is perhaps the one piece of information that all homebrewers need to keep in mind. There has been entirely too much time wasted on worrying over water profiles these past few years and not enough decoction mashes happening!  ;)

"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 09:26:18 am »
At the levels we typically use in brewing, any of those ions are only adding nuances to the flavor and pushing our perceptions of other beer flavors in one way or another. Don't worry too much about a perfect level of any of those ions.

Thank you Martin, this is perhaps the one piece of information that all homebrewers need to keep in mind. There has been entirely too much time wasted on worrying over water profiles these past few years and not enough decoction mashes happening!  ;)

Now talk about a waste! 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 09:29:32 am »
Spending an afternoon doing a double decoction marzen, enjoying the process, and ultimately the finished product is no waste in my book, Denny. This is a hobby for me, one of the few things in my life that doesn't get ran on a schedule. So I'm going to take my time and do what I want to do, no matter what the "experts" say.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:26 am »
Spending an afternoon doing a double decoction marzen, enjoying the process, and ultimately the finished product is no waste in my book, Denny. This is a hobby for me, one of the few things in my life that doesn't get ran on a schedule. So I'm going to take my time and do what I want to do, no matter what the "experts" say.

which is the way it outhta be!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell