Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPL guidelines  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
IPL guidelines
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
Would an India Pale Lager has the same stats (S G, F G, IBUs, SRM) as an IPA?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: IPL guidelines
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:07:23 pm »
It can be whatever you want it to be. I would start with a base lager that you are already comfortable with, increase the og and hops.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »
+2.  Treat it just like an IPA grist wise, or use a pils malt base like you would for a lager . As for hop varieties have fun with it - use lots of noble lager-ish varieties ,or just hop it with your favorite IPA hops. As for yeast, Wy2124 works great, and WLP940 Mexican Lager is even better IMO for this - incredibly clean which brings the hops even more front and center.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »
+2.  Treat it just like an IPA grist wise, or use a pils malt base like you would for a lager . As for hop varieties have fun with it - use lots of noble lager-ish varieties ,or just hop it with your favorite IPA hops. As for yeast, Wy2124 works great, and WLP940 Mexican Lager is even better IMO for this - incredibly clean which brings the hops even more front and center.
Wolverine State makes a nice IPL, Gulo Gulo. WLP 940 is the house yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »

Sounds great. It's definitely my first choice for it.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:41:55 pm »

Sounds great. It's definitely my first choice for it.
For some styles I think it is too clean, if you can understand what I am saying.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »
For some styles I think it is too clean, if you can understand what I am saying.

I agree totally, Jeff. It doesn't have much character of its own - I see it a lot like using 1056 for an American style. I used it a time or two in more traditional lagers and thought it didn't bring enough to the party. But I do think it's great for IPL.

EDIT - It's overdoing it to say that 940 has no character at all - it's recognizable as a lager strain. But it's the cleanest one I've used.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:43:40 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:24 pm »
I'm of the opinion that an IPL needs to taste like a lager or else it's just a regular IPA, regardless of the yeast. So Mexican Lager is out for me since it doesn't add any real lager character. Same thing with US 2-row. I've been happy with Pils malt and 34/70 as a base in my hoppy lagers. WY2633 has worked pretty well, too.

Currently, I have a hoppy lager fermenting with 2278. I haven't brewed with that strain before, but I've heard it produces a very crisp beer, so I have high hopes.

As far as specs are concerned, I'd target the same OG as an IPA. For IBUs, I like the lower end (maybe 50-60) so the bitterness doesn't completely overwhelm the malt and yeast character. For hops, I like at least a little noble character. Fruity noble variants like Sterling, Motueka, and Mandarina Bavaria are good choices to build around. From there you can splash in the usual pine/tropical/citrus as you like.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 08:34:26 am »
Agree on 2124 or Saflager 34/70, makes a great IPL in my experience. Also great for black IPL, which I've taken to using lager yeast almost exclusively now for my black hoppy beer recipe, None More Black! I feel it really balances the hop and malt profile nicely.

Interested to hear what your experience is with 2278, Eric.
Jesse

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:12 pm »
I'm thinking I should have gone this way with my German themed IPA: Pilsner, Munich and Vienna. Herkules, Mandarina Bavaria, and Huell Melon. Split the batch and did half & half WLP090& Wy1007. Might have a rebrew and use 34/70 and just treat it like the lager it wanted to be to begin with
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:34:05 pm »
I have a hunch that Wy2112 would be a very good strain choice for making an IPL.
Thoughts?
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:49 pm »
I have a hunch that Wy2112 would be a very good strain choice for making an IPL.
Thoughts?
I think it would make a good, hoppy steam beer. I know that 2112 is technically a lager yeast, but the beers it makes don't taste much like what I expect a lager to taste like. At least to my palate it doesn't.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »

Thoughts?

In my experience 2112 ferments very clean at the low-end of its temperature range around 58°F. Some people say it gives a fruity character but I have not found this to be true- again, I ferment  at the low end.  It does leave a lot of residual maltiness in the finished beer so I don't know if it would be good for an IPL.
Brian
mobrewer