Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature of US-05  (Read 6688 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Temperature of US-05
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:21:59 pm »
I'm thinking of fermenting US-05 in a RIS at 60*.  What do you think?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Temperature of US-05
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:23:44 pm »
Sure.  I've used it as low as 52.  It does seem, though, that the lower you ferment, the more likely you are to get the peach ester from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
Sure.  I've used it as low as 52.  It does seem, though, that the lower you ferment, the more likely you are to get the peach ester from it.

Interesting application for an APA or AIPA.  I assume I won't get much at 60* though huh?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:37:36 pm »

Interesting application for an APA or AIPA.  I assume I won't get much at 60* though huh?

Much peach?  I'm not sure.  I typically ferment it at 63 and have stopped using it because I get it at that temp.  People have reported less peach when it's in the 68-70 range.  My own theory has become "Just say no to US-05".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »
I have a baltic porter going with US05 now at 63F. I just shut off the temperature control to let it free rise and finish up around 70F.

I have never had an issue with 05 at 60F however I have never noticed the peach character either...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:16:53 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »
Much peach?  I'm not sure.  I typically ferment it at 63 and have stopped using it because I get it at that temp.  People have reported less peach when it's in the 68-70 range.  My own theory has become "Just say no to US-05".

Does that also apply to the other brand's versions? M44? Bry97?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »

Danstar BRY-97 is a different strain (the equivalent of Wyeast 1272).  US-05 is the equivalent of Wyeast 1056.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »

my theory on this is some do, some don't report peach.  i'm one who does not really pick it up...at least as much to be objectionable or advise not to use it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
I almost always pitch it at 62 and I've only got the peach once out of maybe 10 different batches. Not sure why I got it that time and not the others.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 06:26:57 pm »
No peach here at those temps either:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 06:58:23 pm »
I find that the colder I go with US-05, the more phenolic it becomes, but I am talking low 50's.  Specifically, clove. I used it in a Berliner Weisse and it was fine at 62F (that was kettle soured, BTW).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:02:06 am »

Haven't used them so I have no idea.

www.dennybrew.com

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 08:04:02 pm »

US-05 is Bry 96, not Bry 97.

Bry 96 (a.k.a. "Chico") = Ballantine "beer"
Bry 97 (a.k.a. Anchor Liberty Ale) = Ballantine "ale"

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:28:03 am »
i'm also pitching a slurry of US-05 into a giant RIS this weekend if everything goes as planned.  i am planning on fermenting a bit warmer however, to avoid the aforementioned ester.

I have noticed that my 'smaller' beers - APA and IPA tend to have a little bit of the ester - i ferment at 64 and then ramp up to 68 to finish off.  But my bigger beers, notably IIPA and Double Stout, i don't notice it, likely because there is so much other extreme aromas that its more hidden.

i'm thinking of transitioning to 001 all the time (i alternate back and forth) - am experimenting with the idea of doing a two step starter, with the second step (not being stirred) and using the actual wort from brewday, pitching at high krausen.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
It is currently happily bubbling away at 62*.  I wanted to ferment low because I am nearing the capacity of the fermenter and I don't want an eruption.  I doubt that anyone but perhaps a super taster would be able to pick up the peach ester in a RIS.  I'll start ramping the temperature as fermentation slows.
Steve
BJCP #D1667