Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Linear Flow Valve  (Read 2206 times)

S. cerevisiae

Blichmann Linear Flow Valve
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:21:42 pm »
I see that blichmann is selling their linear flow valve ala carte.  Granted, $69.99 is a lot of money for a valve, but it is a neat design.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:55:36 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Blichmann Linear Flow Valve
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »
I've seen them on a few sites in the past couple of months. I know a few people that have them, and all seem pleased.

Offline nspake

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
    • ScottishBrewing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:34:10 pm »
Mine is on its way from Great Fermentations. I plan to retro fit onto my older gen BoilerMaker mash tun. Pretty excited to get it. I talked to John about in at NHC in San Diego. Pricey, yes, but I'd like better control, particularly out of the mash tun to boil copper during sparge. I hope this does it. Not sure it makes sense on the other pots (HLT, boil copper).

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:16 pm »
I really like mine.  You may need to make marks on the knob if you're looking to replicate a certain setting each time.  The design is simple and quite brilliant, it disassembles without tools in a few seconds.  Only real con is that it wouldn't be a great emergency shutoff valve. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:44 am »
I just like how simple the valve is from a design point of view.  It has to be amazingly simple to clean.  Do you know if the bulkhead connector bottoms out in the valve?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:38 am »

I just like how simple the valve is from a design point of view.  It has to be amazingly simple to clean.  Do you know if the bulkhead connector bottoms out in the valve?
I haven't inspected very closely. I imagine you of all people would use a welded version, so I guess it would depend on the length of the nipple.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »
I haven't inspected very closely. I imagine you of all people would use a welded version, so I guess it would depend on the length of the nipple.

I definitely prefer welded to weldless, but I am thinking about building a all-in-one setup for my 3.5-gallon batches using a 120V 20A Boil Coil, and that's a non-welded fitting electric element; therefore, I might as well save a trip to the welder.  My starting volume is 4.5-gallons at most most of time, so the 120V 20A coil should do the job for that size batch.  I have a larger kettle and propane stove for larger batches.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
I can peak at one on Sunday, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in before I do.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:59 am »
The old Blichmann valve/bulkhead assembly used a washer and a kept o-ring in addition to the valve and the bulkhead.  Is there a washer and kept o-ring on the G2 configuration?  It appears that the o-ring on the back of the valve body has eliminated the need for this washer and o-ring.