Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting Smegma out of Better Bottles  (Read 6826 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Getting Smegma out of Better Bottles
« on: August 08, 2015, 09:54:30 am »
How do you guys clean these things when they are coated with stubborn smegma? The 1st 2 times I used them they cleaned up fairly easy with a soak in PBW, a bit of swishing and swirling, then a soak in StarSan and a rinse.

This time I have stubborn smegma that I cannot seem to get off. I've done 2 three hour PBW soaks followed by swirling and swishing then an overnight StarSan soak -- and still can't get it clean.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Getting Smegma out of Better Bottles
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:00:22 am »
I soak for about an hour with hot oxiclean. After that I drain out all but a quart or two and stuff in a cotton wash cloth. Give it a bunch of swirls and shakes to get the gunk off and rinse well.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:37 am »
I've never had thus exact problem but have had to deal with cook pots with burned on gunk.
Let it soak for a week with plain water, give it a good wipe; repeat as necessary. A long enough soak in water will loosen most anything.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
I soak for about an hour with hot oxiclean. After that I drain out all but a quart or two and stuff in a cotton wash cloth. Give it a bunch of swirls and shakes to get the gunk off and rinse well.

I don't have oxiclean but I think PBW is essentially the same? I do the same thing but haven't tried the additional step of using the wash cloth. I'll give that a try too.

Right now I'm trying a soak with an ounce of C-Brite since I have some old packs hanging around with my cleaning supplies.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:13 am »
Craftmeister alkaline cleaner.  It cleans better in cold water than PBW does in hot water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:31:23 am »
Oxiclean and pbw have the same active ingredient. PBW had some additional stuff that makes it rinse easier, but oxiclean is 80% cheaper.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 12:34:48 pm »
Smegma?!

"noun: smegma: a sebaceous secretion in the folds of the skin, especially under a man's foreskin."

Using full bio-hazard gear, deposit it in the trash.  The out-of-doors trash.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »
Smegma?!

"noun: smegma: a sebaceous secretion in the folds of the skin, especially under a man's foreskin."

Using full bio-hazard gear, deposit it in the trash.  The out-of-doors trash.

Awesome. I was thinking similar.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:48:45 pm »
Gross.

I always though smegma was just generic for gunk or grime.

narvin

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:34:08 pm »
Stop sticking your @#$% in them!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »
Gross.

Nope. I always do a 24 hour soak with Oxiclean Free in the garage.  After that, I've never seen anything a swish and swirl with a microfiber wash cloth wouldn't get out.  Maybe you're not soaking long enough.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
Gross.

Nope. I always do a 24 hour soak with Oxiclean Free in the garage.  After that, I've never seen anything a swish and swirl with a microfiber wash cloth wouldn't get out.  Maybe you're not soaking long enough.

I do that with glass.

But I'm pretty sure the better bottle website says not to soak them for long periods of time in caustic cleaners. I think they specifically mention PBW.

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »
I often swish and swirl a washcloth inside before I soak it with a cleanser.  It seems to remove more gunk than just rinsing and sloshing.  I figure it means less gunk for the cleanser to remove.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 06:30:29 pm »
I often swish and swirl a washcloth inside before I soak it with a cleanser.  It seems to remove more gunk than just rinsing and sloshing.  I figure it means less gunk for the cleanser to remove.
To the same effect, I've been using these lately in my 1-gallon jugs that I use for starters and test batches. I don't know if they're too small for a full-sized better bottle, but they certainly work as advertised in smaller bottles.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/need-it/kitchen/bean-bottle-cleaning-sponges/12d?productId=10035726
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 08:21:13 pm »
Hot oxy and a bottle brush for me, regardless of how clean they seem prior. Then thorough rinse and starsan dip.