Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Parti-gyle Barleywine Group Brew  (Read 2060 times)

Offline mindbender

• 1st Kit
Parti-gyle Barleywine Group Brew
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:36:56 am »
Our club will be doing a group brew day and wanted to tackle a partigyle beer with an american barleywine and  a pale ale.  Looking for someone to check my numbers before we tackle this beast of a project.  This will be 7 members each taking 2g of barleywine and 4 of the pale ale.

I'm looking at 100lbs of NW Pale Ale Malt and 6.5lbs of C60 as the base recipe.  That looks like that should get me 14 gallons of around 1.097 barleywine and 28 of the pale.

As far as mashing this goes, plan would be to use 4 of our 10 gallon tuns then pull the first 4 gallons off each one for a preboil volume of 16 gallons which will be separated between to keggles for a 90 minute boil.  We have a boil kettle big enough to do the rest in a single batch. The pale would be a standard 60 minute boil and we'd probably capture about 32 gallons to boil down to 28.

Do these numbers seem to make sense?  Does this need to be overbuilt for equipment losses and more boil off?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:03:21 pm by ngaskill »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Psrtigyle Barleywine Group Brew
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:26:22 am »
I'd suggest using Kai's partigyle simulator. I've always had great success with partigyles using it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:01:18 am »
that's a lot of grain for 14 gallons at 1.097 that's like 36% eff
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 12:13:26 pm »
I'd suggest using Kai's partigyle simulator. I've always had great success with partigyles using it.

My signature line includes a link to a partigyle calculator based on Kai's.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:02:04 pm »
The concept is very doable.

Offline mindbender

• 1st Kit
Re: Parti-gyle Barleywine Group Brew
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:06:19 pm »
Thanks kramerog.  I was looking for something exactly like that and striking out with the Google.

And JJ, the efficiency can't be taken off first runnings only, the efficiency is the sum of the first and second batches and should land me in the lower 70's.