Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bench capper  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Bench capper
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »
I have two wing style cappers, the black cheapo that is very clunky and don't care to use it. The other is the all metal with the red handles which is just bent so it doesn't function anymore. I picked up an antique one on eBay but when doing a function test doesn't complete the crimp wrap.
Not sure if the is a fix for it or should I just fork out the big cash for the Grifo Heavy Duty Bench Capper for $200. Don't want a collection of crappy cappers. Buy once cry once I guess.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: Bench capper
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:36:45 pm »
I use, a 40 dollar  bench capper
- Charles

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 01:37:38 pm »
I'm still using the cheapie one I bought in 1986.  Did the Italians have better quality back then, or do you have bad karma?  :-\

If it were me, I'd go down the the LHBS & ask to test drive one, before buying.  I'd think they'd not have an issue if you told them your story.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
+1 on the test drive. That is the type of item that could cause all sorts of aggravation at the wrong time.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:36 pm »
The manually adjustable Agata capper (the one with the black button in the capping head) is what I prefer.  Tried the auto-adjusting version and it just seemed to involve more awkward motions during a bottling run.

My capper is mounted to a heavy poly cutting board, and my work space is the top of our clothes washing machine...it's right next to the beer fridge with beer and gas lines all ready to go for keg and BeerGun connections.  Works just as fine for bottling primed beers. Spills run into the washer. Cleanup is a breeze.
The capper mounts to the board with four metal "mirror clips" I found at Home Depot.  The clips screw into the board, and the offset end of the clips holds the capper base securely to the board, letting me mount and dismount the capper almost instantly instead of screwing it directly onto the board. 

This capper has done probably a couple thousand bottles. I have marked the side of the shaft with lines for each of the different sized bottles I use.  Super simple and easier to use (for me) than the self-adjuster.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:44:34 am by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:15:43 pm »
Thanks.  I will see if I can test drive one.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:01 am »
Capper bells are pretty cheap, under $5. It might take a little creativity to adapt a new one to the old capper, but it's worth the try. I use an antique capper that my wife picked up at a yard sale for $5. No reason to switch.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
I bought the Colona I think it is called.  Does American, European, corks, and adjusts for any bottle size.  It is made of plastic.  Wouldn't even begin to think of how many bottles it has capped and corked.  I have no complaints with it. 
Jeff B