Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time cold crashing  (Read 1108 times)

Offline jbourret

• 1st Kit
First time cold crashing
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:24:49 pm »
Just wanted to get some advice.  I am cold crashing for the first time.  It is a belgian ale (5 gallons).  I've crashed it down to about 37 degrees and will be leaving for a week (I put sanitized foil over the opening of the speidel).

My question is, after I move the beer to the bottling bucket with the priming solution, do I also need to add fresh yeast?  They guy at my shop said it is better safe than sorry and gave me a pack of dry yeast.  What are others thoughts on this? 

Any drawbacks to adding the pack of dry yeast?

Take care,
Justin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: First time cold crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »
I chill my ales and lagers to 30f then gelatin fine for a few days before racking. No secondary/bottling yeast, no problems. Unless your yeast die of old age or you filter them out, you will still have plenty

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First time cold crashing
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:21:36 am »
I would really only consider adding a small amount of rehydrated dried yeast to a beer that had a fairly high OG.  I am talking like 1.085-1.090+.  Sometimes with these big beers the yeast do get a bit pooped out and take quite a long time (or dont quite ever) to bottle condition the beer properly.  Meanwhile you are exposing your beer to oxygen in the headspace.  I have had a couple beers not carbonate properly from this in the past.  I now just keg, so no worries there....YMMV.