Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 5621 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Retirement
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 07:06:19 am »
Its hard to imagine for me moving away from all my friends and family when I'm in my sixties. I guess if you were extremely extroverted and are just friends with whoever you meet or so introverted that you don't want to be with other people it would make sense. Also New England is kind of in my bones. The other thing for me is I kind of look forward to enjoying all the hard work I put into my home and land when I retire. I can't wait to have all that time to garden and homebrew.
My girlfriend on the other hand is sick of the winters. I think if we moved someplace warm, since we would be massively uprooting anyway, I would move to Italy or Spain so it would be an adventure then move back home when we start not being able to fully take care of ourselves.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:33 am »
IU offers computer science courses.

+1.  IIRC their computer science program is considered top 10 in the country.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 07:30:46 am »
If you are willing to move to the more remote areas of Italy you can pick up a "fixer upper" house for less than $20k as long as you are willing to spend another $30-70k to repair it. We looked at it, but most of the places are pretty remote and many of the towns which have that housing are sparsely populated. Here's a taste:
http://www.italianhousesforsale.com/search/properties/?category=&keyword=&type=&price_from=&price_to=100000&bed=&bath=&id=&order=desc
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 07:36:17 am »

If you are willing to move to the more remote areas of Italy you can pick up a "fixer upper" house for less than $20k as long as you are willing to spend another $30-70k to repair it. We looked at it, but most of the places are pretty remote and many of the towns which have that housing are sparsely populated. Here's a taste:
http://www.italianhousesforsale.com/search/properties/?category=&keyword=&type=&price_from=&price_to=100000&bed=&bath=&id=&order=desc
I have always thought this was cool. Some are without plumbing and electricity, getting that situated would be $$$

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
Too bad you ruled out the Southeast.  Bluffton is one of the top 5 places to move , and a top place to retire.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 10:09:48 am »
Not Oregon....you wouldn't like it here...nobody does....I highly recommend that no one else move here.....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 02:16:54 pm »
Let me add....Not Oregon. It rains all the time, when the big one comes the whole damn state is going to slip away, and if you think Portland is weird you obviously haven't visited the rest of the state. (How'd I do Denny?)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »
Let me add....Not Oregon. It rains all the time, when the big one comes the whole damn state is going to slip away, and if you think Portland is weird you obviously haven't visited the rest of the state. (How'd I do Denny?)

You guys forgot to mention the impending beer shortage... in Oregon.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »
I think if we moved someplace warm, since we would be massively uprooting anyway, I would move to Italy or Spain so it would be an adventure then move back home when we start not being able to fully take care of ourselves.

I lived in Italy when I was younger.  Visiting Italy is one thing.  Living there is a completely different experience.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
I don't think there is a computer engineering department at IU. You may need to check into West Lafayette.

Even the wimpiest computer science department usually offers computer organization and/or computer architecture.  I used to teach computer organization as adjunct faculty.  My students hated me until a couple of years after they sat through my course.  They were expecting a glorified assembly language course that was more of a survey of commercially available processors.  I started with half adders and moved on to sequenced sum-of-products and product-of-sums combinational logic before working them out on register transfer and micro-operations logic and the design of hard-wired and microcoded control units.   I never heard so much grumbling in my life.  However, as much as they loathed my very existence while taking that course, many of those who stuck with the course later wrote thanking me for giving them a competitive edge over software-only computer scientists.  Many went on to work in embedded systems and ASIC design, which are generally not the province of computer scientists. 

When you consider a school, cold call the department head, chair, or center director. Just applying through a website is rolling the dice. Hard to stand out.

If I decide to work part-time after I retire, I definitely plan to contact the department head, or at least a major rainmaking principle investigator.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »

If I decide to work part-time after I retire, I definitely plan to contact the department head, or at least a major rainmaking principle investigator.
[/quote]

Well see, there you go - Yakima!  My wife is a Dean of one of the colleges at Heritage U.  They have undergrad degree programs in computer science.  And right in the heart of hop country!  The price of property / homes in Eastern Washington is low, and 300 days of sunshine per year.

Obviously I I'm twisting your arm only in a humorous way, but I do like Yakima, and plan to retire here.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2015, 06:38:49 pm »

Well see, there you go - Yakima!  My wife is a Dean of one of the colleges at Heritage U.  They have undergrad degree programs in computer science.  And right in the heart of hop country!  The price of property / homes in Eastern Washington is low, and 300 days of sunshine per year.

Obviously I I'm twisting your arm only in a humorous way, but I do like Yakima, and plan to retire here.
[/quote]
You can retire in place and be in a scenic and fun environment.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 09:49:06 am »
Its hard to imagine for me moving away from all my friends and family when I'm in my sixties. I guess if you were extremely extroverted and are just friends with whoever you meet or so introverted that you don't want to be with other people it would make sense. Also New England is kind of in my bones. The other thing for me is I kind of look forward to enjoying all the hard work I put into my home and land when I retire. I can't wait to have all that time to garden and homebrew.
My girlfriend on the other hand is sick of the winters. I think if we moved someplace warm, since we would be massively uprooting anyway, I would move to Italy or Spain so it would be an adventure then move back home when we start not being able to fully take care of ourselves.
I'm in the same boat as you, Pete. I may consider snowbirding in the Florida Keys for a month or so out of the year, but my roots are in New England and I also enjoy having all 4 seasons. I'm planning to be in good enough shape when I retire to be able to travel extensively, so that should address the wanderlust I hope.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 11:59:45 am »

Perfect, Diane!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 12:05:40 pm »

I'm in the same boat as you, Pete. I may consider snowbirding in the Florida Keys for a month or so out of the year, but my roots are in New England and I also enjoy having all 4 seasons. I'm planning to be in good enough shape when I retire to be able to travel extensively, so that should address the wanderlust I hope.
Snowbirding is pretty economical if you have built a good retirement nest egg.

My wife and I have a condo in Destin, FL. We rent it all bills paid for less than $1500/mo in the winter. The same Canadians come every year. The complex is full of snow birds and they all come back over and over. The snowbirds become friends and look forward so seeing each other every winter.