Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question on lengthy boil times.  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Question on lengthy boil times.
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:14:25 am »
In the book farmhouse Ales, Phil Markowski cites a 1905 publication by R.E. Evans that some Northern French breweries commonly boiled simple pale ale worts for nine to 12 hours.

Other than reducing volume and boosting gravity, what  does this accomplish?

In recipes from modern breweries, I notice 90 minute boils with some frequency as compared to the more usual 60 minutes.

Comments please, and thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:30:40 am by Lazy Ant Brewing »
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Question on lengthy boil times.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:57 am »
I know some breweries had underpowered boilers that took a really long time to get to a boil and sometimes never really did. instead they would hold the highest temp they could manage for a very long time.

That said, there are historical records from british breweries boiling for 3-5 hours for strong beers. You will certainly develop some color and some flavor as you boil down that hard.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:51 am »
This is pure speculation but longer boils might be necessary for some modern breweries to drive off DMS due to the closed configuration of their boil kettles.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:43 am »
This is pure speculation but longer boils might be necessary for some modern breweries to drive off DMS due to the closed configuration of their boil kettles.
Modern kettles have a condensate trap that keeps vapors from dripping back into the kettle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:35 am »
Traditional thought in many parts of Europe was that the longer the boil the better the beer and if you had inefficient equipment you might only get a simmer rather than a full boil and the option to boil longer might have been alluring for that reason. The section of Farmhouse Ales you reference explains that these beers were boiled longer to develop sweetness.

Those traditional processes and ideas about brewing remained popular, particularly in rural areas, well past the industrial revolution and probably would have survived in even greater usage had the two world wars not ravaged so much of Europe and made brewing difficult due to confiscation of brewing equipment and the shortage of grain. However, even today there are still rural parts of Europe where traditional brewing techniques persist and modern equipment like thermometers and hydrometers are absent from the brewhouse.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing