Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lazy Monk Brewing  (Read 3091 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Lazy Monk Brewing
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:30:30 pm »
My wife and I were finally able to stop by Lazy Monk Brewery a couple of weeks ago. The beer was amazing, and the brewer was a nice guy as well.  ;)

The highlight for me was the Bohemian Dark Lager. I had been waiting to sample this dark concoction for a few years. It did not disappoint. Malty, some toffee and cocoa notes, and did I say malty? Just the right body, and smooth. Brought a four pack of tall boys home, and drank them Too quickly. On tap I got a slight roasty note, but did not get that in the can. Overall, this is my ideal beer.

My wife's favorite was the Pilsner. Nice and hoppy with a good bite at the end. Fantastic.

I also had the Maibock, and loved the malt profile. Wish I didn't have to drive a few hours after the visit so I could down a liter of this.

Leos was kind enough to give me a taster of the Bier de Garde, and the Keller pivo. Some nice spicey notes, and a full body on the Bier de Gatde. I could drink a lot of this in the lovely Wisonsin summer. Loved the aroma on the Keller.

I cannot wait for the new location. It looks like it going to be a mighty nice place. I am going to stop by as often as possible. Hopefully we will get the cabin in Minnesota fixed up, so that this becomes a yearly stop.

Lastly, I got to meet one of my brewing heroes. It was so much fun to visit the brewery, and I got a nice little tour of the brewing setup as well. It was great getting to meet Leos, and there is nothing like a good conversation with a good beer. A wonderful time. I look forward to the next visit.
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »
Excellent review.

Someday, someday we will get there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

rabeb25

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:20 am »
Great Review!

Where abouts in MN is the cabin?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:52 am »
Great Review!

Near Brainerd,in Pilager. It's my wife's family cabin.
Kyle M.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:20:24 pm »

My wife and I were finally able to stop by Lazy Monk Brewery a couple of weeks ago. The beer was amazing, and the brewer was a nice guy as well.  ;)

The highlight for me was the Bohemian Dark Lager. I had been waiting to sample this dark concoction for a few years. It did not disappoint. Malty, some toffee and cocoa notes, and did I say malty? Just the right body, and smooth. Brought a four pack of tall boys home, and drank them Too quickly. On tap I got a slight roasty note, but did not get that in the can. Overall, this is my ideal beer.

My wife's favorite was the Pilsner. Nice and hoppy with a good bite at the end. Fantastic.

I also had the Maibock, and loved the malt profile. Wish I didn't have to drive a few hours after the visit so I could down a liter of this.

Leos was kind enough to give me a taster of the Bier de Garde, and the Keller pivo. Some nice spicey notes, and a full body on the Bier de Gatde. I could drink a lot of this in the lovely Wisonsin summer. Loved the aroma on the Keller.

I cannot wait for the new location. It looks like it going to be a mighty nice place. I am going to stop by as often as possible. Hopefully we will get the cabin in Minnesota fixed up, so that this becomes a yearly stop.

Lastly, I got to meet one of my brewing heroes. It was so much fun to visit the brewery, and I got a nice little tour of the brewing setup as well. It was great getting to meet Leos, and there is nothing like a good conversation with a good beer. A wonderful time. I look forward to the next visit.

Kyle,

It was great to meet you. Let me know when you are around next time.

Keep on brewing.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:29:17 pm »

Excellent review.

Someday, someday we will get there.
I am not that far.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

rabeb25

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:00:57 am »
Great Review!

Near Brainerd,in Pilager. It's my wife's family cabin.

Cool, as is mine!

Maybe meet up for a beer sometime!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »
I've had Leos Beers and, yes, I'd hang out at Lazy Monk on a regular basis if I lived up there! Great beers! Some of my favorite styles!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:46:00 pm »

I've had Leos Beers and, yes, I'd hang out at Lazy Monk on a regular basis if I lived up there! Great beers! Some of my favorite styles!
Thank you Keith.
I would hand out in your place if I was in Huntsville. You also make great beers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:42 pm »

Thank you Keith.
I would hand out in your place if I was in Huntsville. You also make great beers.

we need to do a beer exchange again soon. Easier now that we are packaging regularly. I'd love to have more of your pils and dunkel!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:52:37 pm »

Thank you Keith.

we need to do a beer exchange again soon. Easier now that we are packaging regularly. I'd love to have more of your pils and dunkel!

Sure thing. Lets' wait till fall when temps are colder for shipping. Now I have 5 beers in cans.

The only thing that I do not put into the cans is low alcohol helles/Keller beer. Good seller in the taproom but sucks as a packaged product.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:34:15 am »

Thank you Keith.

I need to invent a transporter so I can hang out at BOTH!  You guys both make such great beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 10:35:47 am »

Thank you Keith.

Sure thing. Lets' wait till fall when temps are colder for shipping. Now I have 5 beers in cans.

The only thing that I do not put into the cans is low alcohol helles/Keller beer. Good seller in the taproom but sucks as a packaged product.

Oakshire recently hired an in house graphics guy and purchased a can labeller.  We now can pretty much all of our specialty beers since it's so easy.  Latest one is Gose in cans!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:12 am »

Thank you Keith.

I need to invent a transporter so I can hang out at BOTH!  You guys both make such great beers.

A transporter would also make it easier to have a group hug. ;)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 10:32:10 am »

Thank you Keith.

A transporter would also make it easier to have a group hug. ;)
Love the group hugs.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing