Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Turning Around a Hefeweizen Quickly  (Read 4310 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Turning Around a Hefeweizen Quickly
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:30:33 pm »
I brewed a hefeweizen this past Monday that I would like to serve at a party on Sept. 5. (Brew day got delayed several times for various reasons out of my control.) Normally I give all my beers 3 full weeks in primary, then cold crash, the carbonate and cold condition for a full 2 weeks.

It's done with the really active phase of fermentation but there is still tons of yeast in suspension and I've move it from 620 to 700 over the past 24 hours to finish up.

Should I keep the beer on the yeast as long as possible, and then try the rush carbonation method? (I've heard something like 30 PSI for 24 hours, then dial back to serving pressure for a couple of days should do it.)

Or is it better to maybe rack off the yeast after just under 2 weeks and let it carbonate over 10 days or so?

Also, cold crash it or rack "as is" to try and keep it cloudy? I'm thinking cold crash but not sure.

narvin

Re: Turning Around a Hefeweizen Quickly
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:45:45 pm »
You should have no problem kegging it after two weeks, or less, if your fermentation was healthy.  I wouldn't cold crash before kegging because you're going to miss that yeast later.  It will clear in the keg, but if enough yeast was transferred over you can shake the keg up and reintroduce yeast from the bottom later on.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:49:28 pm »
You should have no problem kegging it after two weeks, or less, if your fermentation was healthy.  I wouldn't cold crash before kegging because you're going to miss that yeast later.  It will clear in the keg, but if enough yeast was transferred over you can shake the keg up and reintroduce yeast from the bottom later on.

That's exactly what I do. Keg @ 2 weeks,  rock the keg to re-suspend the yeast when necessary.
Jon H.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 08:52:01 pm »

Thanks.

Seemed very healthy. Pitched starter at 5 pm and had first signs of fermentation by 8 pm. By 6 am the next morning it was fully cranking with a 3" krausen. Chugged steady for 3 to 3.5 days before slowing down. I haven't gotten a gravity reading yet because I know it's probably not completely done, but I would bet a lot it's close. Pitched at 60 and fermented at 62. (Beer temps.) Pure O2 for 75 Mississippi's just before pitching.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:31:14 am »
done many a hefe that was kegged by 10-12 days. they move fast and are ready to drink very fresh.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:19 am »

That's exactly what I do. Keg @ 2 weeks,  rock the keg to re-suspend the yeast when necessary.
I don't think I'd worry about re-suspending the yeast. I have a hefe turned kristalweizen now on tap and it still tastes awesome. It's gotta be almost gone, I've been hitting it hard. It's the bottomless keg, which I'm fine with, it's been tasting great.
Ten days in the fermenter should be enough for most ales in the 1.050 range, where the yeast character plays a big role.
Jesse