Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick turn around on BJCP Tasting Exam  (Read 3791 times)

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
Re: Quick turn around on BJCP Tasting Exam
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Congrats! And thanks for posting some positive news about a quick grading turn around. It's nice for people to see that these 2-3 month time frames do happen, as do the occasional long waits. We just tend to hear about the longer waits more often than the shorter ones.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:17 pm »
I graded my first exam in 2004, you kids were still wearing diapers so play nice. ;)

On a more serious note, I once had a full legacy type exam which took me 6 months to grade. It was a really large set from OZ and so all the units were funky in the recipe question and with it being a large set finding a chunk of time to sit down and do it all was difficult. At that time the lead grader duties took about 5 hours per examinee. I'm not proud that it took so long, but I do understand what it takes and can also understand when life happens.

Back to the OP - congrats on the score...now get to judging. ;)
I haven't worn a diaper since 2002. Know your audience!

If I was smart, talented, and retired, I would jump in the deep end with you guys and help out. It must get a bit overwhelming at times. I feel for you guys that are way up there. Its volunteer, and this new "instant gratification" culture is quick to forget that.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »
I graded my first exam in 2004, you kids were still wearing diapers so play nice. ;)

On a more serious note, I once had a full legacy type exam which took me 6 months to grade. It was a really large set from OZ and so all the units were funky in the recipe question and with it being a large set finding a chunk of time to sit down and do it all was difficult. At that time the lead grader duties took about 5 hours per examinee. I'm not proud that it took so long, but I do understand what it takes and can also understand when life happens.

I haven't worn a diaper since 2002. Know your audience!

If I was smart, talented, and retired, I would jump in the deep end with you guys and help out. It must get a bit overwhelming at times. I feel for you guys that are way up there. Its volunteer, and this new "instant gratification" culture is quick to forget that.

I sometimes feel guilty for not grading, but then I remember I have a small business, a wife and a hobby, not necessarily in that order.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 10:32:57 am »

I took so long to grade exams that the guilt finally got to me and I resigned.  Just didn't feel like the examinees deserved to suffer for my procrastination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 10:34:27 pm »
Well.... law of averages I guess..... I took mine in February and still waiting.   And, I understand the volunteer thing.... I do that type of stuff in other aspects of my life.  Not always the the most rewarding thing for sure.  Not sure when I will get to judging anyway, once I get my score, as I am a long way from almost every comp. that happens.  Still looking forward to it though.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 06:56:51 am »

That's really the target all the grading teams should aspire to.

How about just a "Thanks graders, ADs, and EDs!"?  ::)
Because what I mean is 'that's really the target all the grading teams should aspire to'.  Not sure what exactly is eyeroll worthy about that.

As a grader, it becomes quite old to hear time and time again that graders need to do "x" or "y". It is a very thankless job, all the while listening to the peanut gallery about how and when it should be done. Meanwhile, I chugged away at another exam on my lunch hour... hence the eye roll.

For me its more that people forget what's involved and just say "slow graders"...it seems to take around 18 days to get the avg set to me, and on avg over a month after I turn it in to get closed out. So to get things closed in 2 months would leave me barely over a week to grade and write RTPs if everything else was avg.

So, my goal as a grader is to turn them around on my end in 1 month. I almost always make it.  Can't control the rest.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:59:46 am by udubdawg »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 01:38:05 pm »
Mike W is right about processing time.  I've had (and heard of) sets sent to me that were months old before I got it.  I've turned in sets that didn't close out for a couple of months, too, just due to AD/ED backlog.

I grade them when I have the time.  Sometimes the time I thought I would have < the time I actually have, so unfortunately the exams end up lower priority.  The bottom line is that for a set to land that quickly, you are fortunate that everyone's time line was in synch.  That is great and enjoy it because it doesn't happen very often.  :-)

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge