Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 8 month old tastes phenomenal  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
8 month old tastes phenomenal
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:18:41 pm »
just cracked 8 month old vanilla robust porter.   time has done this baby well..funny how that works  ;D

this will be a fall/winter favorite.  had the recent pleasure to try an AHA members RIS....loved it and will have to get a batch going so i can enjoy it next year!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: 8 month old tastes phenomenal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »
I had a RIS that tasted best after 1 year. Too bad I already drank most of it at the time. Big beers sometimes need some time for all of the flavors to meld together.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »
I had a RIS that tasted best after 1 year. Too bad I already drank most of it at the time. Big beers sometimes need some time for all of the flavors to meld together.

+1.  That's my biggest problem - I nail a big beer, it's good at 3 months, and it's hard to keep my hands off for a year.  Luckily, on a recent swap with a fellow brewer, I found a couple tasty bottles of my RIS that I didn't know existed (they were a little over a year). If I'd known they were there, they'd have long since been drained.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:18:26 am »
That post title makes it sound like you were eating an 8 month old baby or some kind of animal.

I had a weizenbock that was bottled off the keg about 2 years ago last night. It was tasty. Also had a porter that I found in my closet that's been there for probably 8 or 9 months. It was amazing. It had mold around the cap, haha.
That's why bottling is so fun, when you find those mystery bottles. Feel a bit sorry for the people who write off bottling for good when they start kegging.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:20:47 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:48:26 am »
That post title makes it sound like you were eating an 8 month old baby or some kind of animal.

I had a weizenbock that was bottled off the keg about 2 years ago last night. It was tasty. Also had a porter that I found in my closet that's been there for probably 8 or 9 months. It was amazing. It had mold around the cap, haha.
That's why bottling is so fun, when you find those mystery bottles. Feel a bit sorry for the people who write off bottling for good when they start kegging.

yeah this was kegged. i do bottle my hefeweizen and wit and few others - mostly just bottle a few from the keg to keep a samples for reference and to see how some beers age.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:24:18 am »

Ha!  +1 to that! 

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »

One of the pluses for making 6 gal. batches is that, if you keg 5 gal., there's still 10-12 bottles that you can squirrel away.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »

One of the pluses for making 6 gal. batches is that, if you keg 5 gal., there's still 10-12 bottles that you can squirrel away.
Yeah, that is fun to do. I've just been bottling off the keg to turn batches over quicker if I want something else on. Kind of the best of both options for me.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:55:24 am »
+1 to bottling off the keg.  I have gone to half liter brown PET bottles for an easy way to store - I can re carb them with a carbonator cap, too, if they don't hold the carb well or need a bit more carb at serving.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"