Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager - No Krausen, or airlock activity  (Read 6023 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Lager - No Krausen, or airlock activity
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:05 am »
The way I do a Diacetyl rest is to warm the beer before the end of active fermentation (one or two degrees Plato to go, or 4 to 8 gravity points). The residual diacetyl will form at higher temps, and the active yeast will re absorb it fairly quickly.

If you are an AHA member you can look up the seminar by Kara Taylor at this years NHC, lots of good information there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lebasham

• 1st Kit
Re: Lager - No Krausen, or airlock activity
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:49 pm »
I am new at this brew thing but my suggestion is always use a yeast starter. I decided before brewing my first batch that a yeast starter is a wonderful thing. My first batch was a Belgian Triple after pitching the yeast it took less than two hours to see activity. Twelve hours into fermentation it looked like it was boiling in the carboy.... what a sight it was to see.  This style of beer has a lot of sugar to be converted to alcohol so I needed a starter to be sure all was well.... and it was. So try making a starter in the future I am sure it will be fun and rewarding. Today I brewed a stout and it is really perking up a storm right now it is only two hours since pitching the starter. It might be advisable to use a blow off tube instead of an airlock when using yeast starters. Joe Polvino on You Tube has an excellent video on the process of making a yeast starter. Cheers and drink more beers.