Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Blending: Vermont Ale vs. Vermont Ale + San Diego Super Yeast | xBmt!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
There are many varieties of yeast available these days, all of which impart their own unique character to a beer, though some brewers seek the characteristics provided by more than a single strain alone. Contributor Greg Foster sought the delectable ester character from The Yeast Bay​'s Vermont Ale in his IPA, though was concerned about attenuation issues. This led to him designing an xBmt to test whether blending a yeast known for being a strong fermenter, WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, with Vermont would drive his FG to the bone dry levels he was after. Results are in!!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/08/17/yeast-blending-vermont-ale-vs-vermont-ale-san-diego-super-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Where did he source the Armadillo? That must be pricey, unless you're in the southern states...

It was my understand that blending yeast tended to favor the stronger fermenter of the 2 yeasts, basically making it pointless to blend yeasts.
Jesse

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
Where did he source the Armadillo? That must be pricey, unless you're in the southern states...

It was my understand that blending yeast tended to favor the stronger fermenter of the 2 yeasts, basically making it pointless to blend yeasts.

He bought the Armadillo hops from Yakima Valley Hops, said they're pretty incredible: http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/ARMADILLOLEAF8OZ_p/hopsexparmadilloleaf2.htm

I've heard the same about blending yeasts, I think Greg's goal in adding the 090 after the Vermont was to get the ester character from the former and the attenuation of the latter. We have more blend xBmts on the list, I'm pretty excited to get to those!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
I think Greg's goal in adding the 090 after the Vermont was to get the ester character from the former and the attenuation of the latter. We have more blend xBmts on the list, I'm pretty excited to get to those!

+1.  I know some saison brewers (myself included) use 3711 after 3724 to get the 3724 character but the attenuative 'non-stall' of 3711. Works great. I look forward to seeing what else you blend !
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!

He bought the Armadillo hops from Yakima Valley Hops, said they're pretty incredible: http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/ARMADILLOLEAF8OZ_p/hopsexparmadilloleaf2.htm

I've heard the same about blending yeasts, I think Greg's goal in adding the 090 after the Vermont was to get the ester character from the former and the attenuation of the latter. We have more blend xBmts on the list, I'm pretty excited to get to those!
I see. I was unaware of this Armadillo hop variety. I was being silly and thinking he used actual Armadillo (kidding of course).
Jesse

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles

I see. I was unaware of this Armadillo hop variety. I was being silly and thinking he used actual Armadillo (kidding of course).
You need to use way more Armadillo (the animal) than 28g to get the proper character.  Personally, I find that smoking one on the grill and then dry dilling gives the best essence.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Thanks for the tip, Toby :)
Jesse

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
Sounds delicious, Toby.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
dry dilling

Hilarious !  In a pinch you could probably 'dry parsley'. Not as good though.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
A) While the taste-test portion of this xBmt wasn't statistically significant, the measured increase in attenuation definitely provides some for thought. Specifically, I'm wondering if you pitch WY3711 at the tail end of fermentation if you can get to the typical low 1.000's without significant flavor contribution from the saison yeast.

B) I really need to try out my Armadillo hops. YVH accidentally shipped some to me instead of Amarillo, and they let me keep them when they replaced the Amarillo. (That is typical of their excellent customer service, BTW)

C) I wonder how long you need to boil the Armadillo to ensure you don't spread leprosy with your beer?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
A) While the taste-test portion of this xBmt wasn't statistically significant, the measured increase in attenuation definitely provides some for thought. Specifically, I'm wondering if you pitch WY3711 at the tail end of fermentation if you can get to the typical low 1.000's without significant flavor contribution from the saison yeast.

B) I really need to try out my Armadillo hops. YVH accidentally shipped some to me instead of Amarillo, and they let me keep them when they replaced the Amarillo. (That is typical of their excellent customer service, BTW)

C) I wonder how long you need to boil the Armadillo to ensure you don't spread leprosy with your beer?
A) Very interesting idea, something I hope to play with at some point!

B) Nice! I love YVH :)

C) Not a clue, but I've heard leprosy tastes pretty good when broiled for 5-8 minutes.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
I wish I had time to get a brew in with some before the first weekend of October.  We participate in a fundraiser for the BR Zoo and a lot of guys name their beers for animals.  A single hop Armadillo IPA would be perfect.
I would do a vigorous boil for at least 120 minutes.  ;)  Bonus points for knowing that armadillos are one of the few animals that can carry leprosy.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Yes, imagine my excitement upon finding a dead armadillo on the beach in Florida last week. Took a wide circle around him and all the crabs working on him
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
I would do a vigorous boil for at least 120 minutes.  ;)  Bonus points for knowing that armadillos are one of the few animals that can carry leprosy.

Ok, never heard that. It's both shocking and disgusting all at once.  :(
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

Ok, never heard that. It's both shocking and disgusting all at once.  :(
Right? Makes me want to avoid the roadkill as if it's a live child. Don't need that on my car.