Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Paulaner Original Munich (Helles)  (Read 2657 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Paulaner Original Munich (Helles)
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:26 pm »
There is a fairly new liquor store in my area that I recently discovered. They have a very solid craft beer selection, but it's not huge. There's no mix-a-six section collecting dust, everything is in the fridge. There may not be the hugest selection, but what they have is cold and fresh. I mention this because Paulaner Helles is a beer I'd never touch at the other bottle shops in my area, as it is typically stored warm and not likely to be turned over very quickly. So when I saw it in the fridge at Big Gary's, I snapped it right up.

This beer just hits all the marks for me. It has a wonderful rich, bready malt character to it. It is well attenuated, but not as bone dry as a pils. The carbonation level is also backed off a bit compared to other lagers. It isn't crisp and bone-dry, but that plays to the maltiness well, and it is still dangerously easy to put down in quantity.

What I really enjoy about it is the malt character. With most pilsners I get a malt character that reminds me of uncooked pasta. The Paulaner is different. It reminds me more of a french baguette. I would love to brew a beer with this same malt flavor, but I can't quite think of a grain that would get me there. If I had to guess, I'd wager that Paulaner has this malt made to spec and it's probably in between Pils and Vienna malt somewhere. I also wonder if yeast strain comes into play here. I can't think of a Paulaner beer that I haven't loved when I've had a good/fresh bottle of it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Paulaner Original Munich (Helles)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:07:36 pm »
There is a fairly new liquor store in my area that I recently discovered. They have a very solid craft beer selection, but it's not huge. There's no mix-a-six section collecting dust, everything is in the fridge. There may not be the hugest selection, but what they have is cold and fresh. I mention this because Paulaner Helles is a beer I'd never touch at the other bottle shops in my area, as it is typically stored warm and not likely to be turned over very quickly. So when I saw it in the fridge at Big Gary's, I snapped it right up.

This beer just hits all the marks for me. It has a wonderful rich, bready malt character to it. It is well attenuated, but not as bone dry as a pils. The carbonation level is also backed off a bit compared to other lagers. It isn't crisp and bone-dry, but that plays to the maltiness well, and it is still dangerously easy to put down in quantity.

What I really enjoy about it is the malt character. With most pilsners I get a malt character that reminds me of uncooked pasta. The Paulaner is different. It reminds me more of a french baguette. I would love to brew a beer with this same malt flavor, but I can't quite think of a grain that would get me there. If I had to guess, I'd wager that Paulaner has this malt made to spec and it's probably in between Pils and Vienna malt somewhere. I also wonder if yeast strain comes into play here. I can't think of a Paulaner beer that I haven't loved when I've had a good/fresh bottle of it.

they  make great  beer Eric. probably one of my top 3 while living in Germany.  going to Paulaner Brewhaus in Munich is one of my favorite stops.

that bready aroma and taste reminds me of biscuit or a good kolsch malt..might be the secret.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:58 am »
I didn't think of Kölsch malt. I haven't used it, but from the descriptions I've heard that may be the closest. I had thought of something like Biscuit or Victory to try to replicate that breadiness, but that always bugged me because I'm pretty sure that's not how Paulaner does it.

Anyone have any idea what yeast strain they use for their lagers?
Eric B.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Paulaner Original Munich (Helles)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »
I like wlp860 ( March-April seasonal) wlp833 or wyeast 2308. Paulaners is old house strain....not sure exactly what its roots are. Any of the above are solid choices though IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:01:41 pm »
Im homing in on it. Not there yet. This winter when I continue my journey, it will be 3 parts Best pils to one part Best Vienna.  Borderline low calcium from CaCl. Aiming to the low end of hopiness, 10gm magnum at 60. Fermented with Wyeast Munich. About 4.5% abv. Adjusted in the bottling bucket to 4.3 pH. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:17 pm »
Im homing in on it. Not there yet. This winter when I continue my journey, it will be 3 parts Best pils to one part Best Vienna.  Borderline low calcium from CaCl. Aiming to the low end of hopiness, 10gm magnum at 60. Fermented with Wyeast Munich. About 4.5% abv. Adjusted in the bottling bucket to 4.3 pH.
Sounds like a tasty journey :)

What yeast strain are you using, Jim?
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »
Sounds like a tasty journey :)

What yeast strain are you using, Jim?
Wyeast Munich 2308

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »
Aiming to the low end of hopiness

This
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:50:31 am »
My personal theory on why these German light lagers have that bready/malty flavor that is so hard for a homebrewer to replicate, is that they are using fresh malt, just days or weeks out of the malting house, as opposed to months or years.

Just a theory, I have no way of knowing whether it is true.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 05:51:06 am »
You could be right about that Chumely. However, it also could be the type of yeast. My lhbs was out of WLP833 and most other lager strains at the time. I ended up buying WLP940, Mexican lager and the beer was clean, but it didn't have that malty, bread like flavor I usually get with 833.