Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Urquell  (Read 2144 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Pilsner Urquell
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:22 am »
This may sound funny from the guy who's been posting about Czech Pilsners a lot recently... but I just had my first PU (of recent memory, I know I've tried some at one point in the past) out of the 16oz cans. Especially considering it's an SAB Miller brand, I thought it was awesome. The very noticeable diacytel was interesting which, I think, is what made it taste different than the various American Craft Bo Pils I have had.

Any one know if the beer underwent any heavy changes after the SAB Miller acquisition?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:25:23 pm »
Haven't yet had this one in the can (yes I said it!).  But I am sure it is better than the oxidized examples I get in the bottles, thats for sure.  My one buddy who loves the stuff always remarks that it has "that real nice butternut thing going in there".  I try to explain to him about diacetyl but he is usually too drunk by then.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »
I just went through an example qualification for my BJCP class. It was fascinating.

A class mate brought PU in brown bottles that were just crazy with diacetyl. I am more or less blind to diacetyl and I immediately thought the host had dosed with popcorn butter. It was off the chart... a weird artificial butter note and a really strong mouthfeel slickness. I came home and cracked a fresh can of PU that still had a very low diacetyl note, but was very classic Urkel... freshness, high Saaz-y hoppy-ness. But I could still taste that diacetyl three hours later. It was pretty strange.

My class admin and I visited a brewpub that serves PU on tap. Three ways - all based on foam. We had a flight of the three. Only the "normal' pour had the butter element. The rest were restricted to half foam and all foam - and the D levels were tremendously reduced, while the bitterness increased. It was a great experience!

I think that with PU, the distance between oxidation, light struck and D is the variation that I have seen. I love Urquell in the can, but will pass when I see it in the glass. Will be thrilled with it in a properly cellared firken... or a properly maintained tap setup.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:15:37 am »
I and the unfiltered unpasteurized PU that was flown over by World of Beer, so it was fresh. It was like a Kellerbier in that it had yeast in suspension. No diacetyl. Asked a friend who came in to have some, National judge, he said none. Jeff Renner - who has a high sensitivity to diacetyl, has had it at the brewery and said there is none.

The production beer is said to be cold crashed once it gets to a certain level of attenuation. The Czechs are said to like it that way.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 04:31:17 pm »
I and the unfiltered unpasteurized PU that was flown over by World of Beer, so it was fresh. It was like a Kellerbier in that it had yeast in suspension. No diacetyl. Asked a friend who came in to have some, National judge, he said none. Jeff Renner - who has a high sensitivity to diacetyl, has had it at the brewery and said there is none.

Then why does it show up in there packaging?  Or is it just what gets sent to the states?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 06:24:11 pm »
Im going to have to grab some more soon. Ive brought it home a couple times and I remember ubber crackery and occasionally some skunk, but I dont recall diacetyl.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 06:26:51 pm »
I've never noticed diacetyl in PU…and it comes in cans? How long has that been the case? Either it's now, or the cans haven't made it down here in the sticks yet...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:36:13 pm »
I've never noticed diacetyl in PU…and it comes in cans? How long has that been the case? Either it's now, or the cans haven't made it down here in the sticks yet...
Ive only seen the clear bottles that come in the enclosed 12 pack

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:47:05 pm »
I've had brown bottles from an enclosed 12 pack and one store here has 16 oz (maybe  bigger?) cans as singles.

I agree with crackery with some skunk. From the can it was better.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »
I have found the 4 pack of 16oz cans here in greater Cincy and it was great. Have not seen the brown bottles, they sound good too
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 08:27:49 pm »

Then why does it show up in there packaging?  Or is it just what gets sent to the states?
The yeast in suspension in the unfiltered unpasteurized version has time to clean up the diacetyl. Not much of that is made, normally you get it in the brewery and a few places close by (haven't been yet). When they yeast is crashed the beer would be moved off of it, filtered, and no yeast to clean up the diacetyl. Processing differences. You can get the diacetyl in iPU in Germany in my experience.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »
A firkin of PU sounds awesome. I remember hearing about one in Philly a bit back but I missed out.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:38 pm »
I liked the beer better when PU still used open fermentation vessels and the multi-strain culture.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:46:06 pm »
I liked the beer better when PU still used open fermentation vessels and the multi-strain culture.

Apparently they still do as per a friend's recent tour there,  just not what we get here anymore
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:19:15 am »

Apparently they still do as per a friend's recent tour there,  just not what we get here anymore
For the tour and a few local pubs only.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild