Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gordon Strong Presentation on Dubbels  (Read 5172 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Gordon Strong Presentation on Dubbels
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:21 pm »
Having brewed many dubbels the "traditional" homebrew way, I'd advise people to not bother.
Cliff hanger? What is the traditional way and modern way and why isn't it worth it?
The old way was to use a lot, or a ton, of specialty malts. The new way is one or two base malts, a specially malt or two, and a couple sugars. Keep it fairly simple.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 06:25:11 pm »
Having brewed many dubbels the "traditional" homebrew way, I'd advise people to not bother.
Cliff hanger? What is the traditional way and modern way and why isn't it worth it?
The old way was to use a lot, or a ton, of specialty malts. The new way is one or two base malts, a specially malt or two, and a couple sugars. Keep it fairly simple.

Yeah I brewed some dubbels the old way. No surprise they finished too high from using too much specialty malt and just weren't near as good (or drinkable) as the ones I make now using dark syrups and a few malts. Definitely nice to have the variety of stuff to brew with today !
Jon H.

Offline RichardCooper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 04:09:56 am »
Gary, thanks for asking Gordon.

Johnnyb, get Gordon's new book, plenty of good information.
http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/modern-homebrew-recipes/
Hi,

Does any one have the recipe list on the book? I looked for information about it, to if there is Belgian ales and strong ales recipe in it, and found nothing.

Enviado de meu XT1039 usando Tapatalk

I just looked in my copy of _Modern Homebrew Recipes_ and there is a recipe on pages 227-229 for a traditional homebrew dubbel and pages 229-231 for a modern homebrew dubbel.

Are you looking in the right book?
Hi,

I don't have the book, I'm thinking on buying. But I wanted to know if was the kind of styles I like

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 09:56:51 am »

"back in the day", before candi syrups and info on how dubbels are really made were available, the method was to use rock candi sugar and large amounts of specialty malts to get somewhere near the taste of a real dubbel.  Once better ingredients became available, and more info about Belgian brewing started flowing, homebrew recipes shifted to a more authentic approach.  The "traditonal" homebrew method produced an OK beer, but without the depth of flavor and body a dubbel should have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RichardCooper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 10:55:31 am »
From the brewing like a monk they normally use 2 malts.

Derek

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:04 am »

Offline RichardCooper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:44 am »
I have looked for the sample recipe on the presentation, while as doing the conversation for kilos , I had doubt. Aren't the weight of the styrian goldings for 30 min to high?

Derek

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »

I have looked for the sample recipe on the presentation, while as doing the conversation for kilos , I had doubt. Aren't the weight of the styrian goldings for 30 min to high?

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on that recipe. It's acknowledged that it was formed from an antiquated, pre-Candi Syrup American approach to Dubbels.

I don't think 1.5 oz of Styrian @ 30 is too much. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 06:59:47 am »

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on that recipe. It's acknowledged that it was formed from an antiquated, pre-Candi Syrup American approach to Dubbels.

I don't think 1.5 oz of Styrian @ 30 is too much. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have his new book, out for the weekend, but I think this was an example of an old vs. new recipe.

Popped into a nice book store, saw a copy on the shelf, it was old vs new Dubbel recipes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:15:33 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!