Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 16985 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: It's Official
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »
Why sanitize if all are welcome everywhere?

I'll answer my own question:

We should sanitize to reduce the risk that wild and crazy sh*t will contaminate everything.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »
I’m honestly playing devils advocate here, but many on this forum need to get over themselves and hurt feelings from the original low oxygen snafu. Every couple of months out of nowhere comes a thread where somebody brings it up. Get over it.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »
2) Find a way to facilitate “advanced”/R&D oriented discussion for those interested in it. This could be as simple as a creating an “advanced” subforum on the AHA forum. I don’t mean a LODO subforum - I mean a discussion space where the next LODO could be postulated and developed.

I don't think this is a bad idea.

Why can't that be done in the existing structure?
Because those topics often get flooded with “i’ve brewed 4,000,000 batches of beer, it tastes great, and I’ve never done this” or “brulosphy and/or exp brewing proved that brewing with pool water is indistinguishable from RO

So, what if it does?

In an academic "argument," the point is the search for the "truth" or a better way of doing things. Bring it all on! If you don't like it, you can join the argument or not. If someone has a weak argument, they should be challenged, or we'll never get to the truth.

But, if you are going to challenge someone, you should have something to back it up. And, there are many ways to support an argument: anecdotal evidence, (I've brewed 4,000,000 batches) empirical,(Brulosophy Ex-Beeriments) and there are ways to appeal to one's opponents in the argument: Logos (backing up your argument with logic and language--most forum members) Ethos, ( using your credentials--Denny, Martin, Palmer, Kunze, Fix, etc.) and Pathos (the lowest of the three appeals--backing up your argument with emotions--using fear, desire, etc.)

Let us not appeal to the lowest from of argumentation. The point is to find the truth about brewing and a better way to achieve it. I think we all want to brew better beer. The problem becomes when we just want to be the one that is proven "right" or "smartest" or "best."
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Stevie

It's Official
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
My examples were meant to be exaggerated examples of those that just spout off without any evidence and or knowledge to share.

4,000,000 batches, but I’ve never tried because my beer is good isn’t anecdotal of something not being a benefit. It’s anecdotal of somebody that hasn’t done something.

Those that cite experimentation blogs are often parroting single data points without further research on their own.

People are trying to have a conversation and a bunch of “Donnie’s” are coming in and derailing or speaking out of turn based on their experience of never trying something or reading it from a blog.

Look at the organic thread from yesterday.
OP - “where can I find organic non-gmo ingredients?”
Reply “you know organic is BS, right?”
OP wasn’t asking about the value of organic and non-GMO, simply asking where to find them. Now it will turn into a few pages of the merits or dangers of GMO and “conventional” farming techniques.

ETA - I see you actually answered the OP organic question. Good job!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:28:10 pm by Stevie »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2017, 04:34:46 pm »
Look at the organic thread from yesterday.
OP - “where can I find organic non-gmo ingredients?”
Reply “you know organic is BS, right?”
OP wasn’t asking about the value of organic and non-GMO, simply asking where to find them. Now it will turn into a few pages of the merits or dangers of GMO and “conventional” farming techniques.

ETA - I see you actually answered the OP organic question. Good job!

I'm not a fan of a high degree of moderation but that kind of stuff could probably do with moderation out of the thread. Not every off topic or tangential post needs elimination, but those drive-by posts that completely disrupt a thread and offer nothing useful to the conversation could go. Maybe we could have a dumping ground thread where those posts are moved. Let people rage over those topics in its own place.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »
I'm not a fan of a high degree of moderation but that kind of stuff could probably do with moderation out of the thread. Not every off topic or tangential post needs elimination, but those drive-by posts that completely disrupt a thread and offer nothing useful to the conversation could go. Maybe we could have a dumping ground thread where those posts are moved. Let people rage over those topics in its own place.

I second the motion for more aggressive moderation.  Even if/when it involves my own dumbass self.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2017, 05:07:26 pm »
2) Find a way to facilitate “advanced”/R&D oriented discussion for those interested in it. This could be as simple as a creating an “advanced” subforum on the AHA forum. I don’t mean a LODO subforum - I mean a discussion space where the next LODO could be postulated and developed.

I don't think this is a bad idea.

Why can't that be done in the existing structure?

Maybe it would help to have these "R&D" posts in a separate section as a way of conveying the OP's intent and the community's expectations about the content of the thread?

It might not work, but if the goal is to facilitate more technical or advanced discussions here, it seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2017, 11:22:23 am »
Looks kinda quiet in this thread today. First time seeing it. I have kind of disappeared over the last 78 days as I have been busy committing my efforts to a different purpose. I still love brewing, I still love the AHA forum, but I guess I have missed a lot in the last almost 80 Days. Those 78 days have made me a better person, less chemically dependent and all the time I used to spend here has been spent at https://www.killthecan.org/ recently. I have popped in a couple times in that span with questions on kegging, as that was new to me. thanks to all for your help on that front, especially Hoosierbrew. Yall have not lost me, just prioritizing a bit differently. Learning there that I may be a bit compulsive and have focused that compulsion there while it used to be here. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to say hello again for a moment
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:26 am »
Good for you, Frank!  Quitting any addiction is a marvelous undertaking and one well worth the gains.  It's always energy well spent (tough as it may be at times) - plus you get some time back in your life, both now and at the end!  So, keep up the good work.  My vice was smokes many years ago - glad I quit when I did.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2017, 11:46:42 am »
thanks stpug, luckily I was never a smoker but this was the same. Nicotine is a controlling monster
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:29 am »
Good for you, Frank. My brother struggled with the same and kicked it.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2017, 11:51:50 am »
Thanx Jon. Not much fun the first month, but keeping at the keyboard kept me off the can
Frank L.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2017, 12:27:43 pm »
Thanx Jon. Not much fun the first month, but keeping at the keyboard kept me off the can

I quit eight years ago.  It does get easier every day
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline 69franx

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
Good to know. Sorry to have completely side tracked this thread, but looking back, maybe thats for the better anyways
Frank L.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Good to know. Sorry to have completely side tracked this thread, but looking back, maybe thats for the better anyways

For the better indeed.

All my life I've seemed to bounce from one addiction (of the SOUL, not so much the body) to another, so I can relate somewhat.  Fortunately tobacco is one I've never cared to get into.  As a youth I was obsessed with a girl, and with music.  The particulars of the girl(s) and the music evolved over time but the obsessions were constant.  Then came beer and homebrewing, OMG.  I've been a homebrew addict since 1999.  Then for a couple of years in the middle I also became addicted to learning all there was to learn (from books and forums, mostly) about apples and cider.  I tasted >100 apple varieties and spent hundreds of hours reading things.  For the better, my addiction to Coca-Cola finally disappeared a few years ago, but my addiction to Hershey's chocolate is one I hope I never need to give up.  I can see diabetes on the horizon... it's not here yet, but I'll shrug and shoot some insulin when it arrives.

Cheers all.
Dave