Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 17082 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: It's Official
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:25:41 am »
I drop by HBT once in a while to make sure my blood is still flowing.  Raises my blood pressure that much!  Lately, I've been trying to correct misconceptions about batch sparging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 12:13:40 pm »
If you need bottles, steward or judge a local competition, you can pick up as many cases as you want at the end.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Derek

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »

I drop by HBT once in a while to make sure my blood is still flowing.  Raises my blood pressure that much!  Lately, I've been trying to correct misconceptions about batch sparging.

Some of the posts get me very fired up. There is a lot of confusion about many topics over there. People are often disagreeing on things that should be fundamental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 10:49:55 pm »
Damn..... your post made me read the HBT post... which made me not want to read anymore posts from here ;)

That was brutal.  Glad I missed it.  I am a regular at HBT, but, yeah...... that sort of stuff is pointless.  Plus, finding bottles should not EVER be the most complicated part of your homebrewing hobby.  If it is, you are doing it wrong. 
I try to stick to threads that have some substance and sharing.  They are there - although, it takes some sifting. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 07:50:31 am »
Plus, finding bottles should not EVER be the most complicated part of your homebrewing hobby.  If it is, you are doing it wrong. 

Yeah, that was my thought, too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:42:52 am »
Plus, finding bottles should not EVER be the most complicated part of your homebrewing hobby.  If it is, you are doing it wrong. 
Yeah, that was my thought, too.
+2 - If I want beer, I buy beer. If I want bottles I buy bottles...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Derek

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 06:39:58 pm »
It's unbelievable. The thread over there Is like 9 pages long.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
I'm migrating permanently to this forum. This is the HBT post that pushed me over the edge.

So pointless I nearly screamed at my phone.
It's probably for the best.  Personally, I tend to just ignore the posts both there and here that lead to frustration.  You should try it.  ;)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 09:28:04 am »
I remember asking the HTB for help with some issues with my beer...was told to fix my water chemistry and was offered tons of confusing and contradictory ways to go about that.

Asked how to fix my water chemistry over here, was pointed to bru'n water. Haven't looked back.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:37:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Derek!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »
Well, what about forums where the people are civil, but the information is just as questionable?  I just read several threads on a forum where members were told that a two liter starter that is fermented out, crashed, decanted, and fed two more liters of wort produces the same number of viable yeast cells as a 4L starter.  I almost replied to the threads, but figured that it would be a waste of time. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:05 pm »
Well, what about forums where the people are civil, but the information is just as questionable?  I just read several threads on a forum where members were told that a two liter starter that is fermented out, crashed, decanted, and fed two more liters of wort produces the same number of viable yeast cells as a 4L starter.  I almost replied to the threads, but figured that it would be a waste of time.
In the healthcare fields we refer to that as "knows just enough to be dangerous".
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Derek

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 08:18:23 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Derek!

Thanks! I've been on for a while but will be staying here permanently from now on and blogging a bit!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 06:55:51 am »
HBT is a decent forum and has a lot of useful information.  Like any forum, you just need to filter through the crap.

Beeradvocate...now that's a different story ;)

Everyone know that batch sparging is not real brewing :)  (says the guy that's been using the cheap 'n' easy method his whole all grain career).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 07:16:46 am »
HBT is a decent forum and has a lot of useful information.  Like any forum, you just need to filter through the crap.

Beeradvocate...now that's a different story ;)

The quality of information at BA has improved by leaps and bounds since I arrived there last year.  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.