Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 16987 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: It's Official
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »

I recently found myself "over" homebrewtalk.  The community is simply too large, and the bigger the crowd the lower IQ.  I tried to start a discussion to see if anyone else found Beersmith's interface to be clunky (was wondering if I just didn't "get it") and got berated by some jackass claiming I couldn't handle it because I was in the "iPad Generation."  Sorry, the first iPad came out when I was in my late 20's and as an engineer I use technical software all the time.  It just rubbed me the wrong way.
Try turning off the tabs. I made it so everything opens in a window expect for the folders. This gives me an outlook type experience with the favorites on the left, folders in the center, and currently selected recipe on the right. Beersmith still leaves much to be desired, but ditching the tabs made it much better.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:02 pm »
Try turning off the tabs. I made it so everything opens in a window expect for the folders. This gives me an outlook type experience with the favorites on the left, folders in the center, and currently selected recipe on the right. Beersmith still leaves much to be desired, but ditching the tabs made it much better.

That would help a lot and I didn't know it was an option.  The interface is so cluttered!  I know it is good software and I appreciate all that Brad does for home brew, but I do wish the interface was a little different.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2015, 12:27:29 am »
It's clunky and honestly half the reason why I don't use half the features in the software. I'm really just looking for it to do the math and save my recipes so I'm fine letting go of the other features. I use bru'n water for water adjustments and mrmalty.com for calculating starters.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2017, 11:44:58 am »
I'm migrating permanently to this forum. This is the HBT post that pushed me over the edge.

So pointless I nearly screamed at my phone.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=540627

Volume and stupidity are what have kept me off the HBT forum altogether.  I am on pretty much almost every other forum besides HBT.  Except in recent months activity has died down on all forums except for AHA which is now my favorite.  Damned kids and their Facebook and texting crap..... ;)

Welcome to the right place to be, Derek.  :)

Heh... now isn't this sad..... where do we spend most of our time now, today?!  I am currently on HBT more than anything else, based on traffic / volume.  Most other forums, including AHA, are near death.  Now you can find us over there more than anyplace else.

I mean no disrespect for the AHA forum.  I still love this place and everyone who contributes.  I'm simply calling attention to an interesting fact.  The times, they are a-changin'...

Cheers all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
If every other forum on the internet was dead, I still couldn't bring myself to spend any more time at HBT than I do now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »
I had to go to the BN forum just now to make sure it's still there.  Sad thing is, I'm still #7 on the list of total numbers of posts.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:39 pm »
Honestly, I am burning out on it a bit.  I have scaled everything back, brewing, judging, forum activities, everything. Just need a break.  I know I'm not the only one.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:35 am »
This forum collapsed under the weight of the conflict over the past couple years. We lost a lot of active members and of those that remained it often seems there is an uneasiness about having an honest brewing conversation for fear of reigniting the conflict. The forum doesn't have the organic community it once had nor does it have a well defined niche in the homebrewing discussion.

I looked at HBT a couple weeks ago. There's still a lot of good information from across the years, even current info. However, it's lots of drive by questions and answers that makes a deeper conversation difficult.

Honestly I haven't spent a huge amount of time on many homebrewing forums this year. When I do, it's usually over at milkthefunk on facebook.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 01:46:00 pm »

Honestly I haven't spent a huge amount of time on many homebrewing forums this year. When I do, it's usually over at milkthefunk on facebook.

The other group that is worth following on Facebook is Saison, Bière de Garde, & Farmhouse Ale Appreciation Society.

Ralph R.

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 08:30:01 am »

The other group that is worth following on Facebook is Saison, Bière de Garde, & Farmhouse Ale Appreciation Society.

That group is a lot of beer pics to wade through for brewing discussion. There is some really good discussion on there sometimes. I just don't always want to rifle through thirty pictures of a beer to find it.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
You need to learn to separate the fly s*** from the salt & pepper. There are ignorant people, who may very well consider you to be the ignorant one, wherever you go. Doesn't matter if it is a web site, a bar, a church or any other place. Whether live or on-line, you just need to learn to either tolerate or ignore people who see things differently than you do. Leaving HBT, or any other situation, is giving up and giving in.

Where I come from, many of us carry firearms. We don't routinely just shoot people that we don't agree with. Most of us try to reason with them. If that doesn't work, we usually just ignore them and let them quietly go away. Life is just too short to let some asshole bother you.

Have a wonderful day and try to enjoy the better aspects of this great hobby.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:50 pm »

I drop by HBT once in a while to make sure my blood is still flowing.  Raises my blood pressure that much!  Lately, I've been trying to correct misconceptions about batch sparging.

Some of the posts get me very fired up. There is a lot of confusion about many topics over there. People are often disagreeing on things that should be fundamental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There can still be a level of confusion here. Ultimately you have to experiment and try different things to find out what works best for your system and what results you want to achieve. But with that said this is definitely a good forum, it's the only one I use.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
I was a very regular reader and frequent commenter here, until the lodo arguments began. It ruined the atmosphere and friendly discussion

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline jekeane

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 05:40:37 am »
I feel like the LODO arguments were everywhere. 

It was a topic that for some reason a lot of people couldn't just walk away from.  I read some of the early stuff and couldn't wrap my mind around the processes and how they were going to change my setup. So I jus moved along.

Most of the LODO proponents admitted to their original paper being off-putting in tone and I think they tried to address that.  It seemed to me that the "Relax don't worry" detractors grew ever more zealous in their dislike for LODO though.

People have lot's of opinions and unfortunately we generally hold to them with clenched fist.   

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 06:18:32 am »
The 6 steps to enlightenment:

1) Denial
2) Anger
3) Hatred
4) Guilt
5) Acceptance (of the Hatred)
6) Enlightenment

;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:20:31 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.