Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA Extract Recipe?  (Read 4837 times)

Offline KyleFR

• 1st Kit
Black IPA Extract Recipe?
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:45:28 pm »
Any suggestions for a Black IPA extract recipe? I've read over the debate between using Carafa and Carafa III (recommended for this type of brew) but any worth-while recipes would be appreciated. I'm a huge fan of Stone's SSR so anything in that vicinity would be great. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:47:00 pm by KyleFR »

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
Re: Black IPA Extract Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:13:35 pm »
I can't say I have tried the SSR, but I have found a small amount of Blackprinz is a good color addition.  I have missed the mark several times on a Black IPA trying different dark malts and have settled on this added to my standard IPA recipe.  Midnight wheat could be another option but they are both pretty subtle for a dark malt.
Run then beer.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:46 am »
For 5 gal I'd try the following to get the color without the excessive roast. This is real close to my all grain recipe I brew regularly.

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

2oz Chinook @ 60 mins (~75 IBUs)
4oz of assorted finishing hops at flameout
4oz of assorted finishing hops in dry hops

Hops wise I think lots of late Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Mosaic, Galaxy etc work well for this style.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:48 am »
For 5 gal I'd try the following to get the color without the excessive roast. This is real close to my all grain recipe I brew regularly.

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

Hops wise I think lots of late Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Mosaic, Galaxy etc work well for this style.

That'd make an excellent extract beer. Love Blackprinz and/or Midnight Wheat for that.
Jon H.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:37:15 am »

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

That'd make an excellent extract beer. Love Blackprinz and/or Midnight Wheat for that.

Thanks Jon,

I've got the AG Imperial version ready to tap at the house right now. 2oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook and Citra went in the keg 3 days ago. Next time you're passing through Pike Township come on over!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:40:08 am »

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

Thanks Jon,

I've got the AG Imperial version ready to tap at the house right now. 2oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook and Citra went in the keg 3 days ago. Next time you're passing through Pike Township come on over!

That sounds great !  I need to do that. That's pretty similar to my black IPA, btw.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:53:11 pm »
I can't say I have tried the SSR, but I have found a small amount of Blackprinz is a good color addition.  I have missed the mark several times on a Black IPA trying different dark malts and have settled on this added to my standard IPA recipe.  Midnight wheat could be another option but they are both pretty subtle for a dark malt.
I just used  cold steeped midnight wheat to blacken an imperial IPA: a nice dark brown color and very little roast.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline KyleFR

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:00:38 pm »

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

Thanks for the advice; I'll be giving this one a try hopefully this weekend.

Since I'm basically a newbie to some of these ingredients, could you please clarify:

BlackPrinze and Midnight Wheat steeped at 150-160F? 20-30 mins?
C-60/75 is Crystal Malt 60-75L or a mixture of the two? Steeped along with the BlackPrinze and Midnight Wheat?
And for the hops, do you suggest using an ounce each of 4 of the above mentioned or would you suggest 4 ounces of only 2-3 different varieties?

Thanks for the advice!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:15:47 pm »

8 oz BlackPrinz
8 oz Midnight Wheat
1 lb C-60/75
6lbs Extra light DME
1lb Dextrose

Thanks for the advice; I'll be giving this one a try hopefully this weekend.

Since I'm basically a newbie to some of these ingredients, could you please clarify:

BlackPrinze and Midnight Wheat steeped at 150-160F? 20-30 mins?
C-60/75 is Crystal Malt 60-75L or a mixture of the two? Steeped along with the BlackPrinze and Midnight Wheat?
And for the hops, do you suggest using an ounce each of 4 of the above mentioned or would you suggest 4 ounces of only 2-3 different varieties?

Thanks for the advice!

Sure, steep the grains together in 155F water for 30 minutes. And C60 (crystal 60L) is readily available and would work fine. As for the hops, RJ listed great varieties for black IPA.  Here's what I would do - pick 4 hops (1 oz each) from the list for flameout and the same amount for dry hopping , choosing varieties with different characteristics for complexity. For example, Chinook (pine), Galaxy (tropical), Mosaic (fruit/berry), Simcoe (pine/citrus/resin). Hard to go wrong with any of those, though. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:27:54 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
I just made a black IPA extract kit (hopstache from midwest supplies) that used 8oz each of crystal 50-60L, CaraMunich 45L, and Pale Chocolate for the steeping...hops were 1oz columbus, 2oz galaxy, 2oz wakatu and 1 oz centennial...the dark color came from 4oz of sinamar, which is just a malt based food coloring. Was a nice beer and good flavor...the sinamar makes the beer dark without turning it into a porter. Good luck.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 12:11:19 pm »
Any suggestions for a Black IPA extract recipe? I've read over the debate between using Carafa and Carafa III (recommended for this type of brew) but any worth-while recipes would be appreciated. I'm a huge fan of Stone's SSR so anything in that vicinity would be great. Thanks!

here is a link to our Black IPA recipe "Son of Man":

It for sure has that roast character balanced by fruit and pine hops if that is what your are looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4g1gicz5zy8el0/BS_Recipe_Son_of_Man.pdf?dl=0

sub the base malt for 7 lbs of LME or 6 lbs of DME and keep everything else the same.

enjoy!
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:25:57 pm »
I don't have my exact recipe here in front of me, but I just made a CDA that turned out really well with I believe
(3 gallons)

5 or 6 lbs pale liquid extract
1/2 lb black patent malt (150F for 30 minute steep)
2 oz Cascade Pellets
2 oz Mosiac Pellets
1223 Northwest Pale Ale Yeast (Wyeast)

4 additions of 50/50 hop blend 1/2oz Cascade/ 1/2 oz Mosiac at
40 minutes
20 minutes
Flameout
Dry Hop (2nd week of 2 week secondary)

Really nice pine/citrus mix with just a faint hint of chocolate, but otherwise no roast.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year