Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avangard Malt  (Read 3266 times)

techbrau

Avangard Malt
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:42:50 pm »
_
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:09:40 pm by techbrau »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Avangard Malt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
They wont sell you what you want? I would call ask ask "How much for a sack of Best Pils?" If they told me no, I would move on.

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:18:12 am »
I know that the reason both stores made the switch is because Avangard is significantly undercutting Best and Weyermann when it comes to price, but what really irks me is that neither store passed any of those savings on to their customers - they both still charge $2/lb, what I used to pay for Best or Weyermann. I'd like to still give the LHBS my business, but I'm pretty peeved by this - it may be the impetus for me to just start ordering in bulk from the local club buy.

You can't assume to know what they pay for the malt.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:27:56 am »
Avangard malts can often be found 20-35% cheaper than other imported malts. AiH for example - Avangard = $1.19, Best = $1.89. That said, I hear great stuff about their Pilsner. I know Ken goes through sacks of the stuff.

The LHBS is a business, and LHBS owners aren't raking in the dough like they are some sort of robber-barons. Maybe they have a crappy wholesale contract and were barely making money on the Best and Weyermann, now they can finally afford to get their kids braces. Vote with you dollars if you can.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
One of the local shops sells Avangard at reasonable prices. (It's about the only thing I will buy from that shop because the markup on everything else is absurd.) I think it's at least equal in quality to Weyermann but you shouldn't be paying Weyermann prices for it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:16:24 am »
My shop switched from Weyermann to Avangard, too, and they sell it a tad cheaper than Dingemans (maybe 10 or 20 cents/lb). It's a good malt and I like it better than Weyermann. Like Steve said, I don't see LHBS getting rich off of raw grain. Mine is a great LHBS and I have no qualms with their prices, especially since I can avoid shipping/waiting.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »
Avangard Pils is my favorite continental Pils malt by a large margin.  It reminds me of Durst Pils.  I used a ton of Durst Pils before my LHBS switched to Best and MFB (I was never happy with the flavor of these two Pils malts).  I was hesitant to purchase Avangard at first because it was significantly cheaper than Best and MFB.  Avangard's 8L caramel malt is a keeper as well.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »
Like I said before, vote with your dollars if you can. You could also ask the owners what's up. Show them some by the pound prices as well as sack prices from online retailers.

RPIScotty

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »
Im a fan of the Avangard Pils, Pale and Munich if I can't get Dingemans. I get them at good prices though.

Sent via Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:55:19 pm »
I never said I don't like Avangard malt, only that I personally prefer Weyermann. What I don't like is paying Weyermann prices for Avangard.

Concur!  A home brew shop owner who switches to a cheaper malt should not charge the same price that he/she did for a more expensive malt.  However, businesses are in business to make money, and they will charge what the market will bear.  The only way to counteract price gouging is to walk. 

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 03:15:24 pm »
I've very much liked the pilsner, vienna, munich I/light, wheat

I've disliked the pale ale with the exception of dark, roasty beers (it works well in those)

It's sold less expensively than weyermann at my lhbs, but special orders are still available for other brands.