Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phenolic Feedback  (Read 10807 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Phenolic Feedback
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 09:57:22 am »
Bottle one from the tap and leave it at room temp for a few weeks, then open and taste it.  That'll tell you if you need to clean your lines.  I've had some issues with that in the past for comps.

The lines would surprise me, I splurged for the EJ Beverage silver lined, titanium and platinum lines. Additionally, I haven't had beer running through them that long. I do run hot PBW followed by clean water through the lines each time I switch out the kegs.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 10:21:51 am »
Phenolic off-flavor is frequently caused by a wild yeast contamination.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:24 am »
Are you using Star San as your only sanitizer?  Star San does not kill wild yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:29 am »
A smoky phenol is often a sign of infection.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:29 am »
Are you using Star San as your only sanitizer?  Star San does not kill wild yeast.

Yes...outside of some grain dust somehow getting into my fermenter or keg, I've never used a wild strain.

narvin

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:08 am »
Bottle one from the tap and leave it at room temp for a few weeks, then open and taste it.  That'll tell you if you need to clean your lines.  I've had some issues with that in the past for comps.

The lines would surprise me, I splurged for the EJ Beverage silver lined, titanium and platinum lines. Additionally, I haven't had beer running through them that long. I do run hot PBW followed by clean water through the lines each time I switch out the kegs.

It could also be the faucet, which has dried beer on it exposed to the air.  I still think you should try your bottling procedure for competitions and leave a sample at room temp to check for shelf stability.  The beer you have at home could be very different than the beer they taste.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:33:35 am by narvin »

narvin

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 11:32:59 am »

Yes...outside of some grain dust somehow getting into my fermenter or keg, I've never used a wild strain.

Wild yeast is everywhere.  This is how people make sourdough.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »

As Narvin mentioned, wild yeast and bacteria are everywhere in our environment (leave an open container of autoclaved wort out and watch what happens).  Wild yeast and bacteria ride on house dust.  Wild yeast and bacteria counts increase as the ambient temperature rises, which is why brewing was traditionally limited to the cooler months in places like Germany.  Elevated microflora counts are also the reason why I avoid working with my bank during the summer.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »

It could also be the faucet, which has dried beer on it exposed to the air.  I still think you should try your bottling procedure for competitions and leave a sample at room temp to check for shelf stability.  The beer you have at home could be very different than the beer they taste.

+1

If you want to fill a jug and take it over to your buddy's house to enjoy, the faucet's fine.  If you're bottling for competition, there are better ways.  Start by googling "we don't need no stinking beer gun".

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »
Haha yeah, not sure how I didn't see these growler fill adapters before.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »
Haha yeah, not sure how I didn't see these growler fill adapters before.

For filling growlers they're fine - I use one.  But for comps and otherwise you should really consider bottling directly from the keg.  Just sayin'.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »
For filling growlers they're fine - I use one.  But for comps and otherwise you should really consider bottling directly from the keg.  Just sayin'.

+1
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
^Why's that?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
^Why's that?

Because a counter pressure/beer gun type arrangement allows you to purge your bottles with CO2 before and after filling - greatly limits O2 exposure, therefore potential oxidation. Also, you lose less carbonation than filling from the tap.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »
Yep.  The one time I tried your way I got both an infection and oxidation. Ultimately the beergun or similar is probably the way to go.  I used the cobra tap/racking cane deal for a couple of years and it worked.