Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Berlinner Weiss Help  (Read 7133 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Berlinner Weiss Help
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:08 am »
I like to give 5335 a week. But the answer is let it work until it hits your desired ph

Makes sense - one more thing, if we end up with a pH too low for sach and pitch Brett should we plan for an extended the fermentation time? Or will it finish up in a couple weeks?

Only time I've worked with Brett was in a blend with Conan (Yeast Bay Funktown)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 04:03:14 pm »

DMS is not an issue in sours so no long boil is necessary.
Lately, I've been wondering if DMS is an issue at all, at least on the homebrew scale ;)

I don't think Berliner Weisse is all that difficult, your plan seems sound to me!

I would love it if an exbeeriment proved I don't need to boil Pilsner malt for 90m haha.

Stay tuned... stay very tuned.

Marshall - what about the DMS precursor re-forming during an extended cover post-boil?  I know that longer boils are said to boil off most of the precursor (SMM), but how much is left to reform into DMS - a noticeable amount?  I hate to waste a typical 10 gallon batch to see, but maybe you could do that, as well if you could cover a portion of a batch while it cools? 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 05:06:15 pm »

DMS is not an issue in sours so no long boil is necessary.
Lately, I've been wondering if DMS is an issue at all, at least on the homebrew scale ;)

I don't think Berliner Weisse is all that difficult, your plan seems sound to me!

I would love it if an exbeeriment proved I don't need to boil Pilsner malt for 90m haha.

Stay tuned... stay very tuned.

Marshall - what about the DMS precursor re-forming during an extended cover post-boil?  I know that longer boils are said to boil off most of the precursor (SMM), but how much is left to reform into DMS - a noticeable amount?  I hate to waste a typical 10 gallon batch to see, but maybe you could do that, as well if you could cover a portion of a batch while it cools?

It's on the list :)