Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Controlling sourness  (Read 1722 times)

Offline leowaiau

• 1st Kit
Controlling sourness
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »
I'm planning on doing a citrus saison and I would like it to be a little tart. I was wondering how I might be able to do that. I have brewed a few sour beers that all came out well but I'm looking for less sourness. Just a little tartness. How could I do that? Pitch less lacto? Pitch it later? Is sour mashing probably the best way? Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: Controlling sourness
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »
Best Saison I've ever made was a traditional Saison fermented with Belle Saison at 80+° with no citrus or spices added, but with Brett-like Trois yeast pitched in secondary with a scooch of maltodextose added for it to eat. It's tart, and dry, and tropical.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:52:48 am »
Your could sour a small portion of your wort and then combine with whole.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:12 am »
Belle Saison gives a nice tartness all by itself. You can also aim for a 5.2 mash pH and even lower it in the kettle or even at packageing with a bit more lactic acid to taste.

Kettle sour is also an option. then you can taste and boil when you reach your desired tartness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:21:16 am »
post fermentation blending with an "acid beer"? There was a very good presentation at NHC by jeff crane which demonstrated how you could add a very sour (acid) beer fermented using lacto and brett to a saison. The results were very interesting, showing how you could tightly control the desired sourness using this approach. Jeff describes it as the seasoning of the beer world.

I've just fermented my own sour beer using L. brevis and Brett B Trois and will be trying it with a saison soon..

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:55 am »
post fermentation blending with an "acid beer"? There was a very good presentation at NHC by jeff crane which demonstrated how you could add a very sour (acid) beer fermented using lacto and brett to a saison. The results were very interesting, showing how you could tightly control the desired sourness using this approach. Jeff describes it as the seasoning of the beer world.

That won't work under these circumstances because the acid beer will unleash lactic acid bacteria and brett on the clean portion of the beer and result in more acidity and more carbonation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:29 am »
Lactic acid to taste post-fermentation.