Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: new/trendy hop varieties in and I.S.A.  (Read 1425 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
new/trendy hop varieties in and I.S.A.
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:15 am »
I am looking to make and India Session Ale with a bunch of late hop additions and I can't decide which hops to blend to really blow out the tropical fruit aroma some of the newer hop varieties offer. Here are some of the hops I might be interested in using.

Mosaic
Galaxy
El Dorado
Equinox

I would be willing to blend in any of the following hops as needed to round out the aroma:

Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade.

Any suggestions?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: new/trendy hop varieties in and I.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:01 am »
I am looking to make and India Session Ale with a bunch of late hop additions and I can't decide which hops to blend to really blow out the tropical fruit aroma some of the newer hop varieties offer. Here are some of the hops I might be interested in using.

Mosaic
Galaxy
El Dorado
Equinox

I would be willing to blend in any of the following hops as needed to round out the aroma:

Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade.

Any suggestions?

Mosaic, Galaxy and Equinox, balanced by a healthy amount of Simcoe sounds pretty good to me.

EDIT -  I've made an excellent IPA using Mosaic, Galaxy, and Simcoe. And I recently tried a local IPA made with Equinox and most or all of the hops I suggested, so I feel confident in the recommendation. However to learn the unique attributes and suitability of each, single hop beers are definitely helpful.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:15:26 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:24:51 am »
My suggestion would be to try a single hop edition with each of them if possible.  Then you can blend the finished product together with one or more of the others in a glass and test ratios and how they complement each other.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:03:07 pm »
I agree that it would be a fun experiment to try a single hop version for all of these beers, but in my experience, single hop beers don't turn out as well as a combination of hops.

Also, I don't have enough time to do four separate brew days.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »
To my palate, Citra is still the king of tropical fruit, with Galaxy probably 2nd place. If you want to push the tropical fruit hard, I'd go 1 part each Citra and Galaxy, and 0.5 parts of Mosaic and Equinox. You could also use a touch of Amarillo to bring in some orange/stonefruit to fill out the fruit, or hit it with Simcoe to add back some dank/pine as a counterpoint.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer