Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: What Is Red X Malt?  (Read 5487 times)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
What Is Red X Malt?
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:06:41 am »
I've searched for this answer for awhile and finally received a reply from Best Malz.

thank you for your friendly Email with the pleasing feedback to our BEST Red X®.

I would like to ask for your kind understanding that I am not allowed to reveal all the detailed secrets of this innovative craft malt. But you can be absolutely sure, that it is far more than a simple blend of 2-3 conventional malt types. We have developed this type during several months with our experts and by conducting also very intensive trials in partnership with several chummy brewers (using very different brewhouses, batch-sizes and technologies of brewing) to verify the results (of getting out excellent reddish beers with the utmost probability).   

So the mentioned rumors are what they are: only rumors, maybe released by competitive maltsters in the market, who are not able to offer such products (and who may be a bit jealous about it?).   

So thank you for your understanding and for using our products, don´t hesitate to ask for any further information.

All the BEST for your further brews and

Best regards
BESTMALZ AG

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What Is Red X Malt?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:32:28 am »
So we know that it is "far more than a simple blend of 2-3 conventional malt types" and that is it? Maybe I am misunderstanding.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:43 am »
Complex blend of 5-6 malts?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:00:19 am »
I as under the impression that it was a high kilned malt similar to Munich only more red. from what I've heard the flavor profile is that of a munich type malt. I suspect they have developed techniques/machinery to control the damp kilning portion of the process to develop a particular melanoiden profile for the color they were after.

It's a base malt intended for use as 100% of the grist and I suspect if it was a blend of various malts the consistency would be hard to maintain given that specialty malts have different densities depending on how they were malted and kilned and would naturally separate a bit in shipping.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:25:30 am »
There doesn't appear to be any more color variation between kernels than any other variety of malt I've seen, so I have a hard time believing that it was a blend. Plus, if it was a blend and there was any significant difference in size and/or density between any of the components then they'd tend to separate in the sack during shipping, and that could lead to inconsistency in the beer.

It converts itself just fine, and tastes in the ballpark of a light Munich malt. I'm guessing it's something in the kilning process, but that's just a WAG on my part.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:36:14 am »
What I got from that reply is that it is not a blend. Maybe its similar to the way they make Munich malts but they added something to the process to give it a reddish color. I think it does taste similar to a lighter Munich but I get a slight caramel flavor as well.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:48 am »
but I get a slight caramel flavor as well.

I just made a red x beer and got quite a bit of caramel, more than I wanted.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »
The beer I brewed with 100% Red X malt had what to me seemed like a slight cherry flavor (not in an unpleasant way though).

It was also more acidic than I expected. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:11:00 pm »
The beer I brewed with 100% Red X malt had what to me seemed like a slight cherry flavor (not in an unpleasant way though).

It was also more acidic than I expected.
Not sure its actually acid, because mash pH seems to stay in check, but it's definitely sharper than munich. And not Best munich... to me its similar to Great Western light munich, but sharper. Acidic-ish sharper.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »
I meant that my mash pH was lower than expected as compared to batches I've brewed with 100% munich malt of a similar degree lovibond (and also less than as predicted by Bru'n Water).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC