Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hot, young beer  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
hot, young beer
« on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
I brewed what can basically be called a baltic porter for simplicity's sake. It had an OG of 1.078 and has appeared to finish at 1.010 which is definitely points below where I expected. This puts the beers right at 9% ABV and a sample after 3 weeks in the fermenter is hot, boozy, and reminds me of whiskey.

I realize that only time can mellow it out and I also realize this is a super young beer considering. Any idea how much time would be appropriate to make a decent judgement? The issue is this is a test batch for an xmas beer that I will be giving away. It will be hard to make judgments if it isn't ready by the time I am ready to brew the final version. I know the answer is, it will be ready when it's ready...haha. Also, if others will be drinking it around xmas, I need to make sure that it ages long enough before I give it out.

Any tips on smoothing it out? I am worried that with such a low FG that it will come across harsh even for a higher ABV beer. I will be bottling this batch. Should I consider a lower carbonation to help smooth it?

Next batch I will definitely adjust my mashing process in attempt to decrease attenuation so that if finishes higher...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewinhard

Re: hot, young beer
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »
You could try blending it with another beer of a higher FG or just give it time.  I would first probably give it some time to mellow out before making any judgements. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:57 pm »
I think big beers like this need time. It could be a couple of months or maybe a year. Did you use a lager yeast? If so, some lagering could help out and smooth it around the edges.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:24 pm »
 By 'hot' do you think fermentation temps got a little high? Bigger beers that fermented cool enough can seem boozy early on, then smooth out in a month or three. Higher temp 'hot' fusels make for headache bombs. I bet it'll be a totally different beer in a month.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »
By 'hot' do you think fermentation temps got a little high? Bigger beers that fermented cool enough can seem boozy early on, then smooth out in a month or three. Higher temp 'hot' fusels make for headache bombs. I bet it'll be a totally different beer in a month.

It fermented with us05 around 63F for the first few days then I let it free rise to around 70f over a couple of days and it finished up there never getting above 72. Maybe I should have kept it at a lower temp longer. I plan to bottle next week and hope for a good brew. By hot I just meant alcoholic tasting like booze. I rarely brew higher og beers so I don't have first hand knowledge here. I would say the long mash at a low temp with some simple sugar did the trick here...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:40:55 pm by goschman »

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:29:28 am »

You could try blending it with another beer of a higher FG or just give it time.  I would first probably give it some time to mellow out before making any judgements.
Agree fully.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:20 am »
A 9%'er with a boozy kick, I'd say you did pretty good  ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:55 am »

It fermented with us05 around 63F for the first few days then I let it free rise to around 70f over a couple of days and it finished up there never getting above 72. Maybe I should have kept it at a lower temp longer. I plan to bottle next week and hope for a good brew. By hot I just meant alcoholic tasting like booze. I rarely brew higher og beers so I don't have first hand knowledge here. I would say the long mash at a low temp with some simple sugar did the trick here...

I don't see any issues with your fermentation schedule.  Letting the temp rise helps bigger beers to finish, IME.

I think you might be rushing a little on bottling.  I would bulk age it for a bit and see if it mellows.  I'd give it at least another week, probably two, beyond what you're planning.  Waiting will not harm the beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:41 am »

haha...yeah. This is one of those posts that I already know the answer to; wait and see. I am not afraid of a boozy kick as long as it isn't harsh in relation to what it is. My lack of higher OG brewing just has me a bit curious.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:30 am »

I don't see any issues with your fermentation schedule.  Letting the temp rise helps bigger beers to finish, IME.

I think you might be rushing a little on bottling.  I would bulk age it for a bit and see if it mellows.  I'd give it at least another week, probably two, beyond what you're planning.  Waiting will not harm the beer.

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I don't have brewing planned for a couple of weeks so the fermenter space isn't an issue.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:34 am »

haha...yeah. This is one of those posts that I already know the answer to; wait and see. I am not afraid of a boozy kick as long as it isn't harsh in relation to what it is. My lack of higher OG brewing just has me a bit curious.

You're basically asking "how long is a piece of string?".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 10:54:10 am »
After three weeks I wouldn't be overly concerned about the status of the beer if boozy is the problem. If you underpitched yeast and there is a fermentation flaw then that might get you an answer better than "wait and see" to your issue. If you're giving this away for Christmas than you have plenty of time to see whether it has smoothed out or needs some help in a way time can't resolve on its own.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 11:13:56 am »
After three weeks I wouldn't be overly concerned about the status of the beer if boozy is the problem. If you underpitched yeast and there is a fermentation flaw then that might get you an answer better than "wait and see" to your issue. If you're giving this away for Christmas than you have plenty of time to see whether it has smoothed out or needs some help in a way time can't resolve on its own.

Well it's a test batch for xmas so I will be making any necessary revisions for the final version.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:56 am »

You're basically asking "how long is a piece of string?".

Thanks for reaffirming. That's why I tried to preface it with "this is one of those posts that I already know the answer to; wait and see".

I thought maybe someone would have some tips on aging higher OG beers or possibly recommendations on carbonation to reduce 'bite'...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:18:16 am by goschman »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:28:12 am »
Thanks for reaffirming. That's why I tried to preface it with "this is one of those posts that I already know the answer to; wait and see".

I thought maybe someone would have some tips on aging higher OG beers or possibly recommendations on carbonation to reduce 'bite'...

I have read several papers that talk about fusels aging into esters, but none of them ever gave guidelines or a time frame.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell