Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: false bottom, bazooka, BIAB?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline larsmm

• Cellarman
false bottom, bazooka, BIAB?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:45:22 am »
I've just got a 52 QT COLEMAN cooler in order to make a new mash tun. I'd watched some videos in which a stainless steel braiding was attached to the valve, and I thought it was gonna be my option but:

- the cooler has a groove in the bottom and it doen't leave enough room for a T, so I only can connect a single hose.
- I've read in some web site that this system it's not for fly sparge, but for batch sparge.

What do you think? Which is the best solution?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: false bottom, bazooka, BIAB?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:20 am »
It would make a great batch sparge mash/tun.  All you need is a single braid.  Checkout http://www.dennybrew.com/.

You could also build a screen using PVC or copper pipe and use it for fly sparging. 

The only one I would probably eliminate is BIAB since the whole idea with that is to only use a single vessel.

Years ago Denny's testimonials about batch sparging convinced me to give it a try and I've never gone back to fly sparging.  It really is cheap and easy.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:24:26 am »
Stainless braid or bazooka would both work fine. You don't need a "T", just a single braid will work great.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:25 am »
Stainless braid or bazooka would both work fine. You don't need a "T", just a single braid will work great.

+1
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:21:33 am »
The only one I would probably eliminate is BIAB since the whole idea with that is to only use a single vessel.
I BIAB in a cooler mashtun to help hold my mash temps better. It works great for that.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:56 am »
I've just got a 52 QT COLEMAN cooler in order to make a new mash tun. I'd watched some videos in which a stainless steel braiding was attached to the valve, and I thought it was gonna be my option but:

- the cooler has a groove in the bottom and it doen't leave enough room for a T, so I only can connect a single hose.
- I've read in some web site that this system it's not for fly sparge, but for batch sparge.

What do you think? Which is the best solution?

Thanks a lot.

1.) you don't need a t.  see www.dennybrew.com
2.) try batch sparging first.  It's so easy and effectvie you may never want to fly sparge
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline larsmm

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:17:23 am »

2.) try batch sparging first.  It's so easy and effectvie you may never want to fly sparge
[/quote]

Thank you to everybody for your answers.

Denny, I've already read your article and I'm gonna try batch sparge next time. I've got a couple of questions:
- do I need to change water/malt ratio in mashing process?
- and, for example, if my software indicates I need 25 qts for sparging, does it depend on the kind of sparge, batch or fly sparge?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:17 am »

Thank you to everybody for your answers.

Denny, I've already read your article and I'm gonna try batch sparge next time. I've got a couple of questions:
- do I need to change water/malt ratio in mashing process?
- and, for example, if my software indicates I need 25 qts for sparging, does it depend on the kind of sparge, batch or fly sparge?
[/quote]

You can mash with whatever ratio you like.  I've found that 1.65-75 qt./lb. works well for me and increased my efficiency.  After you run off the mash, measure how much wort you have.  Subtract that from the amount you to start the boil with.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:24 pm »
I've been using a bazooka screen and love it (i.e. doesn't float like the water supply braids).  I mash at a 1.75 qts/lb and find I need almost the same amount of sparge water.

Just hit about 80% mash efficiency using the Cheap'N'Easy method mash tun on the Octoberfest I just did this past weekend.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
I've been using a bazooka screen and love it (i.e. doesn't float like the water supply braids).  I mash at a 1.75 qts/lb and find I need almost the same amount of sparge water.

Just hit about 80% mash efficiency using the Cheap'N'Easy method mash tun on the Octoberfest I just did this past weekend.

In terms of the brew itself, it doesn't matter of the braid floats.  But it could be a PITA.  I winder why mine doesn't float?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »

In terms of the brew itself, it doesn't matter of the braid floats.  But it could be a PITA.  I winder why mine doesn't float?

I always worried it was going to knock it loose when I was stirring the mash.  Also, I made it too long, which is probably why it floated so easy.  It wasn't until I switched to a bazooka screen that I realized it didn't need to be that long.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 02:33:35 pm »
I always worried it was going to knock it loose when I was stirring the mash.  Also, I made it too long, which is probably why it floated so easy.  It wasn't until I switched to a bazooka screen that I realized it didn't need to be that long.

Yeah, that would be the issue.  Keep in mind that all the draining happens at the outlet...wort doesn't enter and flow down a porous braid.  2-3 inches is plenty and won't get in the way.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 02:37:05 pm »
I have one tun with a braid and one with a bazooka. The only major advantage of the bazooka is the durability. I need primp my braid before every batch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »
I have one tun with a braid and one with a bazooka. The only major advantage of the bazooka is the durability. I need primp my braid before every batch.

I use Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321) and have never needed to do that.  You could also try a shorter braid.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 02:51:24 pm »
No clue on my brand, bought it from my local ace 8 years ago. It just gets pounded when stirring in the grains and spathe water. I don't think it affects anything either way.