Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tweaking a Belgian Pale / Specialty Ale  (Read 1164 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Tweaking a Belgian Pale / Specialty Ale
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:44 pm »
I'm trying to put together a recipe using Azacca Hops (30ibu) and Wyeast 3787 or 3522. I'm shooting for 6-6.5% abv. I don't mind straying from style if it's a tasty beer.

The issues I'm running across are:
1. I'm going to be using Avangard Pale Ale malt, which I have not used before. Do I need to adjust down any Munich/Vienna malts since this is richer than American 2 Row?

2. My local store does not sell Caravienna, which I intended to use. Would 5% C-10, C-20, or perhaps Caramel Wheat work?
I don't want to go too far in this direction because I want to see how the Azacca hops blend in with the yeast, but wouldn't mind if there is a slight presence. Would you even suggest using crystal malt?

Here's a couple rough drafts just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking.   

70% Pale ale
20% Vienna
10% Munich

85% Pale ale
10% Munich
5% Crystal

Your experience is appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:06:07 pm by curtism1234 »

Derek

Re: Tweaking a Belgian Pale / Specialty Ale
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:06:48 pm »
I doubt you need any crystal. The Avangard Pale and some Munich would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »
What are you shooting for? Are you looking for an American Pale Ale with Belgian yeast esters, or a Belgian Pale Ale with American hop character? Your second grain bill will probably be more APA-like, while your first is probably closer to a Belgian Pale Ale.

If you're going for a BPA, then I'd probably swap out 10-20% of the Pale Ale malt for simple sugar of some sort to help dry things out. Plain table sugar works fine, but I'm also a fan of D-45 Candi Syrup in this style as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:55:43 pm »
Thanks for the responses,

I am wanting something more along the lines of a Belgian Pale as opposed to the APA.

In talking to my friend over the weekend, I think I am leaning towards these % because I have some red wheat leftover in the house.
80% Pale Ale
10% Munich
10% Red Wheat

Honestly, I'm just looking for a tasty beer with a Belgian background.

Derek

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:42:42 am »
What are you shooting for? Are you looking for an American Pale Ale with Belgian yeast esters, or a Belgian Pale Ale with American hop character? Your second grain bill will probably be more APA-like, while your first is probably closer to a Belgian Pale Ale.

If you're going for a BPA, then I'd probably swap out 10-20% of the Pale Ale malt for simple sugar of some sort to help dry things out. Plain table sugar works fine, but I'm also a fan of D-45 Candi Syrup in this style as well.

+1 on some D45