Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider on Nitro?  (Read 5315 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Cider on Nitro?
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:31:03 am »
Anyone ever try this?

Currently I have a C02 tap and a nitro tap on my kegerator. I'll have a lager taking up the C02 tap and was planning on tapping a cider with it when I host the Eagles-Falcons game.

I do have the ability to switch out the taps and serve them both on C02 but thought cider on nitro may be interesting.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Cider on Nitro?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:46:13 am »
I vote that you should be the one to experiment and tell us what you find  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:48:55 am »
Cider does not contain much protein, so if you can get a head on it at all..... that's kind of wrong IMO.  But, I'd be interested in seeing the results anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:52:45 am »
I vote that you should be the one to experiment and tell us what you find  ;D

Haha, yea I'll give it a go then and see how it turns out. Google turned up very little but I did find this thread:

http://thebeerengineblog.com/2014/08/14/reader-question-pouring-homebrew-with-nitrogen-dispense/

In the comments a guy says he's been doing it for a couple years and its 'sublime'.

I doubt I'll get a full on creamy head but who knows. Should be interesting.

Offline jja

• 1st Kit
  • Malz und Hopfen (und Honig) Gott erhalts
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »
Schilling Cider House in Seattle always has at least one nitro tap and I tried a couple on recent visits. As another poster said, without the protein it doesn't get cascading and any slight creaminess dissipates quickly. The diffuser tap just seems to knock out more of the CO2 which is the main benefit and makes it a bit smoother and softer ("creamy") compared to the CO2 taps. But you could do that with lower carbonation to begin with.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:11:10 am »
http://www.crispinoverice.com/products/barrel-aged/cream-cider/

Found this as well, I'll try it out when my ordinary bitter kicks and report back.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:47 am »
Followup: The cider has come and gone and turned out pretty nice. I back sweetened it with some local apple juice and cut it with ~ a pint of water.

Anyway, the whole nitro thing was interesting: The first pull of a session would give me an awesome cascade and that nitro head, the second would not. I dunno if excess pressure was building up in the head space or what. Overall though I liked it on nitro, seems to have smoothed it out a bit and when the cascade did work it was delightful.