Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: two newbie water questions  (Read 1164 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
two newbie water questions
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:00:02 am »
1. Why is there no option in Bru'nwater to add acid to the mash? Or if there is, where is it? Just askin' because I just applied the supporter version of Bru'nwater for the first time, and mash pH was spot on!

2. I'm brewing with mineral water, but stumbled upon demineralized water in the supermarket. On the label it says that one is not allowed to drink it. I assume I can brew with it with same specifications as ro-water? And why can't one drink it? Because it depletes the body of minerals?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Derek

two newbie water questions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:23:05 am »
1. It should be in the same section as the rest of the additions, down near the bottom of the sheet. You can change the type of acid contribution and percentages with drop down. 

2. I wouldn't say you can't drink it, but differing sources I found after a quick search suggest sustained consumption can have adverse effects due to altered body pH. I'm not a health expert though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:25:18 am by Derek »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: two newbie water questions
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 05:35:30 am »
1. It should be in the same section as the rest of the additions, down near the bottom of the sheet. You can change the type of acid contribution and percentages with drop down. 

Ah yes, stupid me  :) - luckily I didn't need it.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: two newbie water questions
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:47:42 am »
1. You found it I assume.

2. Some will say don't drink distilled water as hit has no ions and you body needs some of those ions for healthy functions. Some places have very low ion content, almost distilled, and the local people drink that water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!