Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can you step mash in a cooler by re-heating mash water?  (Read 3545 times)

Derek

Re: Can you step mash in a cooler by re-heating mash water?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 05:44:28 am »
The best answer is D:

Just say no to a protein rest.  With the highly modified malts we have today, it's almost never needed and can be detrimental.  Base the decision to do a p rest on the specific malt you use, not a recipe.

Totally agree.

Martin is also correct.  Boiling a thick decoction is better than what the OP described, which is actually a thin decoction.  With thin decoction, you'll kill most of your enzymes, so conversion and attenuation may be adversely impacted.

You really need to just skip the protein rest, unless you're hell-bent on finding out just how detrimental it is with 21st century malts.

Is this homebrew specific? I've never been able to wrap my brain around the fact that so many continental brewers still step mash as a general rule. My assumption would be the difference in scale between homebrewing and commercial breweries holds the key.

Just curious. I'm a big fan of continental Belgian beers and I use malts such as Dingemans and Weyermann like many of the breweries over there.

Not looking to stir the pot (this topic always receives mixed results). I'm just curious to know if this is just detrimental on our scale.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 07:13:58 am »
The best answer is D:

Just say no to a protein rest.  With the highly modified malts we have today, it's almost never needed and can be detrimental.  Base the decision to do a p rest on the specific malt you use, not a recipe.

Totally agree.

Martin is also correct.  Boiling a thick decoction is better than what the OP described, which is actually a thin decoction.  With thin decoction, you'll kill most of your enzymes, so conversion and attenuation may be adversely impacted.

You really need to just skip the protein rest, unless you're hell-bent on finding out just how detrimental it is with 21st century malts.

Is this homebrew specific? I've never been able to wrap my brain around the fact that so many continental brewers still step mash as a general rule. My assumption would be the difference in scale between homebrewing and commercial breweries holds the key.

Just curious. I'm a big fan of continental Belgian beers and I use malts such as Dingemans and Weyermann like many of the breweries over there.

Not looking to stir the pot (this topic always receives mixed results). I'm just curious to know if this is just detrimental on our scale.
Some German Brewers still do decoctions, and the brew house is set up for that with slurry pumps.

Other German brewers have gone to step mashes to save energy, and time.

As far as I can tell, Weyermann does not have a huge part of the malt market in Germany. They have the one maltings in Bamberg. There are other maltsters that have 3 maltings, Avangard has 4.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Derek

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »
I guess the confusion may be that a rest at the upper bound of the protein range is often seen as a first step to many recipes. 132 is a common one.

Maybe it isn't correct to call that a protein rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 07:02:41 pm »
I agree that it is likely a maltster thing.  Also likely to be a temperature thing.  The number I see thrown around most often for homebrewers and which I have used is 122 F.  Perhaps at 130+ F the effect is not detrimental.  Possible.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »
An short rest at 133f is what is often recommended.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infusion_Mashing
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:40 am »
Weyermann recommends a 122° rest for some of their recipes before stepping up. I use to do a short rest in that range with their malts and found the head retention less than what I wanted so I boosted up to 131° and it seems better but still lacking that good lacing. My last few batches I skipped the protein rest, still waiting to tap into those beers to see if there's a difference.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:35 am »
For beers with significant percentages of wheat and/or rye, I like the old 40-60-70 (°C) step mash schedule, and for a lot of Belgians and lagers I go with a 60-70.  But more often than not, I just do a single infusion.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 06:32:58 am »
I use to do a short rest in that range with their malts and found the head retention less than what I wanted so I boosted up to 131° and it seems better but still lacking that good lacing. My last few batches I skipped the protein rest, still waiting to tap into those beers to see if there's a difference.

Please let us know your results!  I imagine you may be pleasantly surprised.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
I use to do a short rest in that range with their malts and found the head retention less than what I wanted so I boosted up to 131° and it seems better but still lacking that good lacing. My last few batches I skipped the protein rest, still waiting to tap into those beers to see if there's a difference.

Please let us know your results!  I imagine you may be pleasantly surprised.

Will do.