Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Equipment for 1-2 gallon All Grain batches (mashtun, pot size, etc)  (Read 5103 times)

Offline mmcmahon98

• 1st Kit
Hello Crew!

I want to start brewing and experimenting more often and have decide to start brewing 1-2 gallon batches.  Since I have been brewing 5 gallon all grain batches, my equipment seems too big for such a feat (52qt marine cooler mashtun, 10 gallon boil pot, 7 gallon buckets).  Am I correct?

If I am correct, what size cooler do I need for 1-2 gallon mashtun? Keep in mind I love brewing big beers like DIPAs and Imperial Stouts.

Do I need smaller fermenting containers?

Any and all help/advise is much appreciated.  Thank you in advance

Regard,

Mike

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Equipment for 1-2 gallon All Grain batches (mashtun, pot size, etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:43:45 pm »
I just moved down to 3G batches. My equipment for 6G batches felt too large also. I bought a 5G water cooler for mashing and moved down to a 30 qt. kettle I already owned. I like the smaller mash tun a lot better just because it is easier to deal with (the bigger one would have worked). The smaller kettle makes the liquid level deeper which helps cover my heat stick and my immersion chiller.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:46:48 pm »
You could brew in a bag. All you really need is a bag and a kettle you might already have. I don't use a cooler when I BIAB.
I also just use my larger fermenters, no need for smaller ones.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

coastsidemike

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »
+1 BIAB.

THis is a great way to experiment;  my last one was brewing the ingredients listed for NB's Fat Tire in simple combinations, blending to taste, and then scaling up.   Learned I really don't care for Munich Malt by doing it this way.

Dry yeast is a little easier to measure out in smaller quantities.

The only odd thing in my setup is a wrapping of small copper tubing for a wort cooler that is pumped with a 12v cpu cooler pump; that works well for getting things chilled quickly.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:03 am »
I started out with 1 gal. batches and quickly moved up to 2.5 gallons.  Felt like too much work for too little beer.  Like Tommy M., I'm using a 5 gallon water cooler for the mash.  If it's raining out, I brew in the house on the stove, using an inexpensive 5 gallon kettle.  No rain or snow I'm outside on a propane burner in a 5.5 gallon kettle.  Normal sized IC.  I ferment in 3 gallon better bottles unless I'm adding fruit to a beer where I use a 5 gallon better bottle.  I've got a small scale that measures down to 1 gram so it's no problem to measure out dry yeast.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

coastsidemike

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:23 am »
Also:  when picking pot sizes, one gotcha with small batch brewing is to make sure your wort volume can be boiled on your stove.  I can mash in a 3 gallon stock pot, but can only get a rolling boil going with 2 gallons of wort.

Offline mmcmahon98

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:48 am »
Also:  when picking pot sizes, one gotcha with small batch brewing is to make sure your wort volume can be boiled on your stove.  I can mash in a 3 gallon stock pot, but can only get a rolling boil going with 2 gallons of wort.

Thanks to everyone with your input.  The BIAB is definitely an inexpensive and sounds like a less time consuming way to test out.  A new mashtun also would not break the bank.

My question is has anyone did the BIAB method and then scaled up to their 5 gallon system with the same recipe?  I would imagine the efficiency is far less than the mash tun method.  So do you just scale according to efficiency? I am asking these questions, because my friend has put me on the hook to brew some crazy experimentals to be served at his wife's restaurant and I definitely do not want to do this in 5 gallon batches. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:35 am »
Some adjustments would be needed, but it's not too tough.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 11:43:14 am »

Thanks to everyone with your input.  The BIAB is definitely an inexpensive and sounds like a less time consuming way to test out.  A new mashtun also would not break the bank.

My question is has anyone did the BIAB method and then scaled up to their 5 gallon system with the same recipe?  I would imagine the efficiency is far less than the mash tun method.  So do you just scale according to efficiency? I am asking these questions, because my friend has put me on the hook to brew some crazy experimentals to be served at his wife's restaurant and I definitely do not want to do this in 5 gallon batches.
With a fine crush and care to not have any dough balls I get just as good efficiency biab as batch sparging, so no real problems scaling.
You might want to check into the legality of serving homebrew at someone's restaurant if you care about them getting in trouble.

Offline mmcmahon98

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:59:35 pm »
With a fine crush and care to not have any dough balls I get just as good efficiency biab as batch sparging, so no real problems scaling.
You might want to check into the legality of serving homebrew at someone's restaurant if you care about them getting in trouble.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely have my buddy look into legalities.

As for the BIAB, it looks like this is the way I will try. 
Are there homemade solutions (like the ones I have ready online), or do you buy a specific material resistant from burning?

Offline Stevie

New Equipment for 1-2 gallon All Grain batches (mashtun, pot size, etc)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »
You can use a paint strainer bag that runs about 2/$5 at Home Depot or lowes. Your LHBS may sell a more durable version for about $5-6. I don't direct heat after I mash-in, so I am not worried about burning the bag.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 01:36:44 pm »
You can use a paint strainer bag that runs about 2/$5 at Home Depot or lowes. Your LHBS may sell a more durable version for about $5-6. I don't direct heat after I mash-in, so I am not worried about burning the bag.
I don't direct heat after mashing either. I usually plan on cooking something in the oven during the mash to eat during the boil (I do biab small batches when I need to do it on a weeknight due to busy weekends). The indirect heat coming up through the stove keeps the kettle warm during the mash.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 01:53:39 pm »

I've done this several times, with good success.  I need to dial down my efficiency from a 10 liter BIAB (86% mash efficiency) to my mash tun, batch sparge process, making 22 liters (80% mash efficiency).  As long as you know how the different processes work for you, you can scale appropriately.

Offline mmcmahon98

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 02:52:14 pm »
I've done this several times, with good success.  I need to dial down my efficiency from a 10 liter BIAB (86% mash efficiency) to my mash tun, batch sparge process, making 22 liters (80% mash efficiency).  As long as you know how the different processes work for you, you can scale appropriately.

Thank you to everyone for your great advice.  I will be trying the BIAB method in the next few weeks.