Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Momentary Lapse of Reason...  (Read 2366 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Momentary Lapse of Reason...
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »
Brewed up an Old Ale today and overshot my numbers big time.  Was looking for a 1.090-1.093 and boiled down to a 1.105.  Without thinking it through, I opened up a sealed, brand new gallon bottle of store-bought (Walmart) distilled water and added just shy of 1/2 gallon to my primary fermenter (before aeration) to get a 1.099 adjusted OG. 

My question is not about the numbers but rather about the water.  I know this sounds like such a newb question but will I be okay with that distilled water addition in terms of sanitation fresh out of the bottle?  I have not done that in years (I usually will just top off during the boil)....Thanks for the insight!

Cheers -
Brewinhard

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Momentary Lapse of Reason...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:32:55 pm »
did that a lot in the past and you will be absolutely fine. No worries!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:42 pm »
Bottled distilled water should be sanitary enough. I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »
It will be completely beer sanitary. Sometimes we way, way, way over-worry about sanitation. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But stuff like bottled water is sanitary enough for beer, no problem. Things like aluminum foil, plastic bags, paper towels, bottled water are all sanitary enough for clean beer fermentation.

Offline Stevie

Momentary Lapse of Reason...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »
It will be completely beer sanitary. Sometimes we way, way, way over-worry about sanitation. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But stuff like bottled water is sanitary enough for beer, no problem. Things like aluminum foil, plastic bags, paper towels, bottled water are all sanitary enough for clean beer fermentation.
I'll rephrase - bottled water is sanitary enough, barring some screwup at the plant. I've done it plenty of time myself. Easy fix for those windy days with too much boil-off.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »
Ever since Denny claimed that foil fresh off the roll is good to go, ive trusted that. But just to be safe I spritz with starsan lol

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:23:30 pm »
Jim hates Donkey beer.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:08:52 am »

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:08 am »
Ever since Denny claimed that foil fresh off the roll is good to go, ive trusted that. But just to be safe I spritz with starsan lol

Yeah I always squirt it with starsan and give it a couple of minutes of contact before using it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:33:21 am »

Yeah I always squirt it with starsan and give it a couple of minutes of contact before using it.

I still don't.  After 13 years, no problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »
You can certainly squirt it with star san if it makes you feel better but it  it pointless. It's sanitary. So are plastic zip lock style bags. Really, beer infection can happen from wild organisms in the air, but mostly it will come from grain dust or a spot you miss cleaning over and over again that allows actual beer spoiling microorganisms a chance to set in and grow. And beer spoiling microorganisms are not on foil., or in bottled water.

It's like, years ago, I remember someone worried about their beer getting infected because they had a cold. I try to explain to them that beer can't catch a cold. But not sure if that really sunk in or not. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:21:43 pm by majorvices »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:47 pm »

You can certainly squirt it with star san if it makes you feel better but it  it pointless. It's sanitary. So are plastic zip lock style bags. Really, beer infection can happen from wild organisms in the air, but mostly it will come from grain dust or a spot you miss cleaning over and over again that allows actual beer spoiling microorganisms a chance to set in and grow. And beer spoiling microorganisms are not on foil., or in bottled water.

It's like, years ago, I remember someone worried about their beer getting infected because they had a cold. I try to explain to them that beer can't catch a cold. But not sure if that really sunk in or not. ;)
I serve all my beer cold. :)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:01:20 am »

I still don't.  After 13 years, no problems.

Same here.  Using foil right off of the roll is perfectly safe.  And with regard to bottled waters (whether distilled, spring, or purified), I believe that most bottled waters nowadays probably get a UV treatment at bottling, the way many of the better non-heat pasteurized farm ciders do.   I've only topped up with bottled water very infrequently, but whether  it is UV treated or not, it has never posed a problem or caused infection.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971