Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wisconsin - Madison & probably anywhere  (Read 1387 times)

Offline garcastle

• 1st Kit
Wisconsin - Madison & probably anywhere
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:07:55 am »
I've had the pleasure of traveling to Madison, Wisconsin for numerous work-related training trips.  Being the capitol of the state, there are numerous restaurants/pubs circling the capitol building (which had the same architect as the U.S. Capitol building).  Apparently the restaurants are highly competitive so bad ones go down quickly, leaving the ones with great food and incredible beers.

There are honestly too many good local breweries there to even begin to name accurately.  One stood out though, and unfortunately they do NOT ship outside their home state.  Being from eastern Pennsylvania we have some decent breweries, not a huge number of them but some.  Wisconsin makes me feel like southern California and my area (including Victory, Dogfish Head, Stoudt's, etc.) can't brew in comparison.  That's quite a comment, I know.  But you need to try the beers in Wisconsin if you ever get the chance.  One pub which had about 30 brews on tap in front of my bacon & egg topped massive burger had all locals.  By locals, they also had Milwaukee in 2-3 taps but the rest were delicious micros.  Mostly Wisconsin and maybe a couple from Michigan.  If you like flavor, you need to try New Glarus, they do not hesitate brewing it!  Their Belgian Red (cherry), Raspberry Tart, and Strawberry Rhubarb are all amazing fruit beers with many times the fruit I've ever tried in a beer.  I'm up'ing the raspberry in my own brews because of it LOL.

Between the meats/sausages, the cheeses, and the beers, I would seriously consider the area if I were independently wealthy and/or could work anywhere.  The winters are a b**** but the food/beer... jesus!

I'm working on getting a consultant or two to bring me bottles from New Glarus when they can LOL.

Cheers,
G.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Wisconsin - Madison & probably anywhere
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:17:52 am »
Glad you liked it here. If you ever travel to western Wisconsin, stop by in my brewery.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:30:27 am »
If you have day off or a weekend in the work trip, go to New Glarus if you haven't already been, not far from Madison. Stopped on the way to the 2010 NHC, it was very good.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »
Sounds like you hit the Old Fashioned, one of my favorite beer bars anywhere.
http://www.theoldfashioned.com/
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:33 am »
I grew up there... what an awesome town.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:42:32 pm »
Always enjoy Ale Asylum beers as well.  They are on the list when I cross the border into Wisconsin.